Gym memberships can be expensive. And just when you find one that may fit your budget, the hours are limited or the drive can make it unrealistic to fit exercise into your daily priorities.
The good news? Working out without a gym is possible!
You don’t have to be on a treadmill to get a workout in. Running, biking and long walks with your children or pets are all a great option, but what about when the weather is crappy? Here are some ways you can get in a little bit of activity around your house:
- Blow dryer squats: Love to hate ‘em but your booty will thank you! While you are blow-drying your hair, squat down! Squats are one of the most powerful movements you can do to help tone and tighten your butt.
- Stair climber: Oh yes, get your work-out on going up and down those stairs! Sprint for two minutes up and down your stairs as fast as you can. Or, stand at the bottom of the stairs and step up with your right foot two stairs at a time and back down again. Repeat 12 times with the right foot and then with the left.
- Laundry curls: Just what you were thinking, right? Next time you reach for a full laundry basket, take an extra 30 seconds and do a couple curls with it. You’ll work your biceps while getting the laundry done.
- Wall push-ups: If you are one who can do push-ups on the floor, do it! But if you need a little work before you get there, find an empty wall! Stand about two feet away with your palms flat on the wall in front of your shoulders. Lean your body into the wall until and then slowly push yourself back up right. Repeat 10 times, a few times throughout the day.
- Kitchen table calf raises: On a call with your long-lost aunt? Stand up and slowly stand on your tippy toes. Lower yourself back down until your heels are back on the floor. Repeat 15 to 20 times. Want a challenge? Do them one-legged!
- Hallway lunges: What else would you use a hallway for? Hallways provide the lengthy distance you need to do anywhere from three to 10 lunges at a time before turning around and going back.
Consider your world a gym. Every moment of the day is a chance for you to be active. Every little action combined makes one large action. Make your seconds and minutes count, and sneak your workout in when you can!