By educating yourself and taking the right steps, you can maintain those gorgeous platinum locks you crave while experiencing minimal damage to your tresses. Here's a handy how-to guide to set foot on the path toward white-hot blondeness.
1. Rely on an expert. Remember – bleaching hair can be a tricky process, and unless you're trained in the dye discipline, you may want to leave this one to the professionals. That being said, the same rules apply to your stylist. Try to make sure he or she has worked with very blonde hair before and is able to help you look ultra feminine without frying your hair.
2. Avoid heat styling. Consider your occasional bleach sessions as having eaten up your quota of hair-related damage. Opt for non heat-based methods instead, like rollers or pin curls. If you do decide to break out the blow dryer or flatiron every now and then, try to use a robust heat-protection serum or mist (as someone with frizzy hair with a flat iron for a best friend, I can attest to the fact that this helps keep my hair in tip-top condition).
3. Get in the habit of using a weekly deep-conditioning mask. The idea here is to zap moisture back into your locks as much as you can. On that note, if you're able to skip a day (or why not two) of shampooing, then go for it.
4. When it comes to touch-ups, stick to the roots. If you planning on showing off your platinum 'do for a while, you'll need to go in for regular root touchups. Just make sure your stylist sticks to new hair growth only! By not running your hair through the mill more than once, you'll be well on your way to a healthy head of blonde locks.
5. Pay attention to your shampoo. Choose one especially designed for keeping your tresses in tip-top condition. Kerastase Bain de Force shampoo is pretty amazing. When this curly-haired girl went platinum, this product was vital in making sure my strands stayed as strong as ever.