Shaving should be all about getting to the end goal of being totally hair-free, right? Well, not exactly. What you do with your razor can have a major impact on your skin as well, and ultimately, a good shave will leave you with both a smooth, hairless finish and soft, supple skin. Here's a quick how-to guide for your skin-friendliest shave yet.
1. Always start with a fresh blade when possible. It may seem counter-intuitive to suggest using a sharper blade for a gentler shave, but in all actuality, a dull razor can be your skin's worst enemy. A sharp blade will remove hair efficiently in one clean glide, preventing you from having to go over the same spot or press harder to get your razor to work.
2. Rely on warmer water. Yes, colder water creates goosebumps, which can raise the hair shaft and help you get that super close shave. But let's face it – this isn't the best option for your skin. Luckily, hot water can also soften the hair, making it easier to remove.
3. Choose your product wisely. Just because your shaving gel foams doesn't necessarily make it better for your skin. I've always found the clear, gel-based products to work best, both in terms of moisturizing ability and the visibility it gives you to see what you're doing. My favorites are Skintimate's Moisturizing Cream Shave and Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel. Both contain skin-friendly ingredients like olive butter, vitamin E, antioxidants and natural oatmeal.
4. Shave in the direction of hair growth, not against it. Sure, most women know that shaving in the opposite direction of troubling stubble allows you to get the closest shave. Still, if you're prone to skin irritation and razor bumps switching it up and shaving in the direction of the hair growth may be the better plan of action.
5. Finish with a toner and moisture-rich body lotion. A toner will help remove any excess residue and clean out your newly opened pores to prevent infection – and lotion will restore much-needed moisture to your skin.
Remember – showing off smoother skin doesn't happen overnight. Still, by giving your gams some extra TLC and taking extra steps while shaving, a pair of sexy legs will soon be yours for the taking.