I’m all about convenience. Healthy needs to be easy or I won’t do it. When I started my weight loss journey, I ate a lot of frozen meals because they were quick and easy to grab-and-go. I’d toss them in my purse and rush out the door to work. I’d come home for work and heat one up before heading back out for social activities. At some point in my journey, I wanted to eat more fresh foods and cut back on the sodium found in frozen meals.
Making my own frozen meals was much simpler than I thought it would be, and just as easy as reaching into the freezer for a pre-purchased meal. Here are some tips for making your own frozen meals:
- Use fun sectioned containers: I love EasyLunchBoxes but I’ve heard good things about these bento lunch boxes. These types of containers keep food from mixing with each other. I also — in a child-like way — get a kick out of eating from small little containers.
- Focus on one or two recipes: Every Sunday, I pick one or two recipes and make as many meals as I can out of them. Over time, I have options in my freezer so I can pick what I feel like that day versus eating the same thing all week.
- Keep it balanced: The good thing about making your own frozen meals is you get to determine what goes in the meal. Look for ways to add extra vegetables but also make sure you have a balanced amount of carbohydrates, protein and fat.
- Use leftovers: Sometimes I make a double batch of whatever we are having for dinner so that as I’m cleaning up, I can use the leftovers to separate out into a few frozen meals. This cuts down on the amount of work I have to do at the beginning of the week and adds even more variety to my frozen options.
- Snack-ables are OK: Sometimes, I prefer to snack through lunch. Every once in a while I make snacky-type lunches including crackers, slices of meat and cheese, some grapes and carrots. These don’t really freeze well but they keep well in the fridge all week so I can still just grab and go.
Preparing your own frozen lunches is all about being, well, prepared! Making it easy to eat healthy during the week sets me up so when the temptation of running out to grab a slice of pizza with a coworker comes up, I can focus on my own customized lunch, just the way I like it. Being healthy doesn’t have to be hard. Make it just a little easier by making your own frozen meals.