I wonder what it’s like to be one of those naturally thin people. You know the ones. Women who regularly indulge in pizza, ice cream, and margaritas and magically stay the same dress size all the time despite never hitting the gym.
Some people are blessed with a fast metabolism, but most of us aren’t. Your metabolic rate depends on the number of calories you consume, the number of calories you burn through daily activities and exercise, and how many calories you burn based on genetics.
But don’t blame your parents if you can’t eat a side of fries without it going to your hips. Very few people have a medical reason that causes a slow metabolism. The rest of us have the power to speed up our metabolisms.
That being said, aging does cause our metabolisms to slow down. Women tend to burn about 100 fewer calories per day at age 35 than they did at age 25. This is because after our mid-twenties, women lose five to six pounds of muscle each decade. People with more muscle burn more calories, even at rest.
How can you turn your body into a fat burning machine? Give these tips a try:
- Don’t fall for fads. There is no magic pill or diet that’s going to give you a trim physique. If a fix seems too good to be true, it probably is. The only way to lose weight and keep it off for good is by — you guessed it! — eating a healthy diet and doing regular workouts.
- Be wary of counting calories. Crash diets will only hurt your metabolism. Taking in too few calories will cause your body to go into starvation mode, which will make your metabolism slow down so your body can conserve fat.
- Eat more often. Here’s a good reason to snack: eating every few hours will help keep your metabolism up. Always eat enough protein, which also aids in boosting metabolism. Be sure to eat breakfast every day, too. It really is the most important meal of the day when it comes to your metabolism.
- Drink up. Dehydration can cause your metabolism to slow down. Sip on water throughout the day.
- Get moving. After a workout, your metabolism stays elevated for a few hours. But even small bursts of activity help rev up your metabolism. Get up from your desk for a few minutes every hour or so.
- Hit the weights. Pumping iron will help ward off age-related muscle loss, which will help speed up your metabolism.