Every gal wants to look good when she goes out, and it’s always fun to pull together a look that has the guys turning their heads and checking you out. But, you don’t want those heads to be turning for the wrong reasons. And face it, men and women see things differently. There may be some beauty and hair blunders that you are making that are pushing some of those guys away. If you’ve ever asked the question,”Is this style a little bit overboard?” . . . or something similar, check out these tips.
1. Hair Too Big- Sure, it’s fun to get some extra added volume in your hair, some lift at the roots or crown flatter just about every style. However, if you end up looking like Snookie or Priscilla Presley (65′) and your hair makes a statement before you even say a thing, it’s probably the right time to turn down the volume.
2. Too Much Hair Product- This kind of follows on the heels of Hair Too Big. All that extra added volume doesn’t come easily, nor does it stay put for very long without the help of products. A little spray or gel can go a long way to keeping a style in place, but when you start using too much, or too many products to get your style to hold, it’s time to back off. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a firm believer in the benefits finishing products can give the hair. A good clarifying shampoo is a girls best friend. The key to avoiding helmet hair and hair damage from using too much product; find the right product for your hair and get a hairstyle that works WITH your hair type, not AGAINST it.
3. Your Roots are Showing-Very few people can pull off the distinctive dark root line that has been popular with blondes recently. Even Madonna, with her professional hair colorist, has a tough time with this one, so it’s probably best to steer clear. Guys like girls to look natural and effortless, and a dark (or worse yet light) root line sends a message that you’re either too busy or just don’t care about how you look. Either way – it’s a turn off!
4. Sloppy, Messy Hair-This sends the same vibe: I’m too busy to take are of myself, and ultimately I’m too busy to take care of you. Guys like to feel that their gal is in it for THEM, and wants to look good for THEM. So that messy bun that you pile on the top of your head for your 8 am Organic Chem class . . . well it may be fine for the classroom, but good grooming and a simple style look will get you noticed as much for your look as for your smarts.
5. High Maintenance Hair-Prom is one thing. Looking like you need a hair stylist every day of the week will send the guy packing. He’ll be thinking that he cant afford you, and also that you’ll be too busy getting your hair and yourself done to go out with him. High maintenance hair = high maintenance gal!
6. Dirty Hair-A little oil is good for your scalp. Dirty, oily, hair is smelly and messy and a total turn off. Enough said.
7. Goth or Punk Styles-Think Miley Cyrus circa October 2012. Very few people – celebrities included – can get away with this. Guys want to be able to bring you home to Mom, and if you look like you’re trying to make a huge political or social statement with your hairstyle, Mom’s not going to like it . . .
8. Split and Ragged Ends-It circles back to caring about your appearance and projecting a pulled together look. Get regular trims. Men love healthy, shiny hair. And we bet you do too!
9. Playing with Your Hair-This is a tough one – usually a bad habit that you may not be aware of. But if you are constantly twirling your hair or chewing the ends (gross) or brushing and fussing with your hair, you give the impression that you are nervous and twitchy and guys hate that.
10. Little Girl Hairstyles and Accessories-Braids, ponytails and updos can be sexy and a great way to keep your hair out of your face, but if you look like you’re 10 years old by fussing up your hair with too many bows and cute accessories, it’s a turn off. A guy wants sexy, not underage.