Whether you’re dating or married, staying healthy on date night can be tough. Instead of the traditional extravagant meals and multiple cocktails, why not treat your special someone to a heart-healthy date night? Here are a few ideas to make your date night indulgent, special and healthy.
- A Heartfelt Workout Playlist. Get your sweetie’s heart pumping by uploading an upbeat, romantic playlist for him/her to work out to. Include songs that remind you of each other and times you’ve spent together.
- A Couple’s Massage. Release relationship stress and lower your blood pressure by booking a couple’s massage.
- A Heart Rate Monitor. If your lover is a gadget geek, what better day to surprise them with a heart themed gift?
- Heart-Healthy Granola. Find a low-sugar, heart-healthy granola recipe online to bake for your valentine. I found a bunch for you here! Put it in a mason jar with red ribbon and paper hearts and you’re all set!
- Fitness Class Date. Are you a yoga fan and your boyfriend is part of the Cross-Fit cult? Spend the day together at your favorite classes. Not only will you try something new and get to spend time together, his favorite could become your favorite!
- Volunteer. Give to one another by giving back. Not only will you help your community, but it’ll feel good too.
- Go For A Walk. Low on funds? Walking is free and gets your heart pumping. Take each other to your favorite walking trails, taking pictures along the way to remember the day.
- Make Fruit Pops. This is a fun thing to do if you have kids. Instead of making or buying sugary candy lollipops, make a healthy version at home using strawberries, pineapple, grapes, blueberries, the options are endless! It’s fun and easier to do than you think. An example tutorial is here.
- Cook Together. Preparing a meal together is fun and if you’re in a new relationship, can be a great way to get to know one another. Keep it easy by preparing a basic pasta dish or be adventurous and try to make your own heart-shaped sushi.
- Fondue For Two. Okay, if you really want to have chocolatey date night, far be from me to stop you. Keep it healthy by making a dark chocolate fondue and dunking fresh fruit like strawberries and slices of apple into it.
If you’re single like me on Saturday night, don’t be a scrooge. Grab a friend and show them you love them by doing something off this list. Spread the love!