Steam rooms have become popular amenities in fitness centers, gyms and spas. You may be wondering what all the hype is about? It is something that can be new for many people and may be intimidating to try out. I recently joined a gym that had a steam room, and was too scared to go inside until my friends told me how relaxed I would feel afterwards. I tried it for just ten minutes and was hooked. I felt calm and at ease and loved the quiet time to myself. I decided to research more about the steam room and learned that spending just 15-20 minutes per day can have amazing benefits:
1. Relaxation. The steam room is the perfect place to forget about any stressors from your day and to calm your mind. The steam can also help to relax the muscles and joints, and will feel therapeutic, especially after a workout. Because the heat helps muscles relax, a steam session can also help promote restful sleep.
2. Skin Rejuvenation. Steam rooms can help your skin become soft, radiant, and give it a healthy glow. According to Livestrong.com, steam hydrates skin pores and opens them up so that toxins can be flushed out. Sweating helps with acne and other skin conditions since the sweat gets dirt out of pores.
3. Enhance Breathing: A steam room is a great place to go when you have a cold because the steam can help relieve throat pain and loosen phlegm in the lungs. A steam room can improve breathing because it can clear mucus from the lungs. Many steam rooms also have Eucalyptus spray which helps to open nasal passages while aiding in relaxation.
4. Detoxification. The steam room can help to get rid of harmful toxins in the body. “As the body begins to sweat, perspiration forces dirt, debris and dead skin cells out of the pores onto the surface of the skin. Once eliminated from the pores, debris can be easily washed away.” (source)
5. Soothe Tired Muscles. So many gyms are adding steam rooms as an amenity because heat has been known to be effective against joint and muscular pain. “Steamtherapy may help reduce the lactic acid build-up in your muscles and increases blood circulation. As a result, more oxygen and nutrients can reach damaged muscle tissue.” (source) There is nothing better than sitting in a steam room after an intense strength workout. I tend to feel less sore the next day after a steam session.
While steam rooms do have many health benefits, there can be some risks associated with steaming such as dehydration. It is important to drink plenty of water before and after sitting in a steam room to replace the water lost from sweating. Limit your sessions to 15 to 20 minutes, and if you start to feel lightheaded or dizzy, get out. Be sure to wear flip flops and have a towel under your body, as steam rooms can be filled with bacteria.
It is important to take time each day to relax and pamper yourself, and the steam room is the perfect place to do this. Just 15 minutes in the steam room can totally change your mood and relax your mind for the rest of the day and night. Give it a try, relax, and enjoy.
Do you use the steam room?