If a morning cup of coffee is a daily part of your routine, it is important to make sure your coffee is healthy and not a sugar-filled diet-buster. While coffee itself has many health benefits such as a high antioxidant content, as well as disease-fighting and metabolism boosting benefits, the ingredients you add to your coffee may not be so healthy.
Here are some healthy ways to enjoying a delicious cup of coffee without compromising your diet.
- Skip the dairy. It may be tempting to add heavy cream or whole milk to your coffee, but just two tablespoons can add 100 calories and 10 grams of fat to your beverage. Try almond milk for a non-dairy alternative which contains just ten calories in two tablespoons.
- Ditch the sugar. Instead of adding 3 packets of sugar to your coffee which will cost you about 12 grams of sugar, slowly reduce the amount of sugar you add until you no longer crave it. Adding almond milk to your coffee will give it a hint of sweetness which can help you forget about the extra sugar you would normally add. If you cannot imagine drinking your coffee without the extra sweetness, try an all-natural sweetener such as Stevia. Be sure to skip any artificial sweeteners like Sweet & Low or Splenda, as they can cause bloating and headaches.
- Add cinnamon. Cinnamon is a great alternative to sugar, and can help control your blood sugar, keeping you full throughout the day. Cinnamon is also known to help digestion, bloating, and an upset stomach.
- Keep it simple. While a Starbucks Double Chocolate Chip Frappuccino may be delicious, a Grande contains 410 calories and 52 grams of sugar. Stick with an unsweetened iced coffee or try a Tall Skinny Frappuccino Light for just 130 calories if you do want a healthier, frozen treat.
- Choose organic. Coffee beans tend to be sprayed with pesticides and other toxins not meant for human consumption. Do your research and choose organic coffee beans when shopping.
- Drink in moderation. While a cup of coffee a day does have health benefits, drinking four to six cups a day can cause problems such as anxiety, insomnia, and restlessness due to the heavy caffeine content. Be sure to drink your coffee before 2 pm to further avoid any sleep issues.
While black coffee may take some getting used to, it is the healthiest option with just 7 calories and no sugar. If you are used to sweet and light coffee, slowly decrease the amount of milk and sugar you add to your cup each morning. Eventually you will no longer crave sweet coffee, and can enjoy your morning pick-me-up without the guilt.