As we collectively become more aware of the environment and the health benefits associated with organic products, it only makes sense that we apply the same ingredient standards to what we put ON our bodies, as well as what we put IN our bodies. And on the heels of studies that have shown that many things we do to enhance our appearance can actually be harmful to us AND the environment, (hello Brazilian Blowouts with potentially hazardous levels of formaldehyde . . . ), the interest in organic skin and hair products has grown considerably.
Many conventional haircare and styling products that are part of our daily routines contain phthalates, artificial fragrances, aerosols and other possibly harmful chemicals. Switching out these products for organic ones can benefit your personal health and beauty as well as the environment.
Here are some top finds for organic haircare products:
1. JustNaturalSkincare.com offers a full line of hair and skin products that use natural ingredients and are free of harmful chemicals. Their organic haircare line has everything from dandruff treatments to frizz control. But their Hair Loss products are what’s creating all the buzz. They are made with ingredients that promote a healthy scalp and encourage thicker hair growth. Their Vinegar Shampoo Rinse has been used for decades to help resolve issues such as alopecia, and other types of hair loss.
2. Intelligent Nutrients Harmonics Shampoo: The founder of this line of certified organic products, Horst Rachelbacher, also founded Aveda Corporation, and is a pioneer of plant-based personal care products. This shampoo is unlike any other cleanser because it’s made with 100% food based, non toxic and organic ingredients. What I love most about this shampoo is that it’s color safe, it leaves the hair soft and shiny and the minty aroma is absolutely stimulating!
3. Yarok Feed Your Ends Leave In Conditioner: Yarok has delivered a phenomenal product that protects your ends with a leave-in conditioner spray with vitamins, minerals and essential oils that nourish hair. Yarok’s product mission is to make a positive impact on the health of your hair and scalp with the least negative impact on the natural environment. Score yourself a Yarok product and you’ll also be doing the Earth a solid!
4. Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam: A quick and easy way to add volume to fine and medium hair types. This product is especially great for those who want a product to give some hold and oomph to the hair without weighing it down. This is a certified organic hair product which is full of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that soften, detangles and still gives the hair plenty of body and fullness.
5. Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Treatment: Great hair products don’t have to come from far away, nor do they have to break the bank. This deep treatment hair masque is budget friendly at $9 and can be found at Walgreens and Target. This masque deeply moisturizes and repairs over-processed, dry, brittle or damaged hair. Sea kelp is an ingredient used to help detoxify hair follicles of impurities and residue. Argan oil is a key ingredient used to restores shine and rebuild hair elasticity. Shea butter adds moisture and can repair damage to both the hair and the scalp.