We love experimenting with new hair looks. We love using products and styling tools to achieve the perfect look. Sometimes, this experimenting comes at a cost: damage to your gorgeous locks. Here are some main causes of damage to your hair.
1. Perms. Some people want their hair permanently straightened or permanently curled and both refer to getting a perm. Chemical straightening and chemical curling both break the inner bonds of hair and re-form them back together in the way you desire. It weakens and damages the hair over time and can use dangerous chemicals. If you chemically alter your hair too much, it can become brittle and very dry.
2. Constant coloring, highlights or bleaching. Bleaching your hair to lighten it removes the natural pigment and alters the strength of your hair. Highlights and color aren’t necessarily as damaging as bleach but they still change the inner structure of hair and can cause damage if you keep coloring often.
3. Using styling tools such as flat irons and blow dryers also cause damage. The heat can break your hair and make it look dull. Try to cut down to only a few times a week.
4. Over brushing. Did you ever hear the myth of brushing your hair 100 times at night will make it shiny? Don’t listen to it! Brushing your hair too much will actually cause it to break faster and cause split ends.
5. Wearing constant ponytails or braids. These styles can cause your hair to break, especially if you pull your hair back tightly. Aim to switch your style up between leaving your hair long and putting it up.
6. Over washing your hair. Unless you have very oily hair, washing your hair every day is not optimal. It will cause your hair to become very dry because shampoo strips hair of its natural oils. Remember to use conditioner too.
7. Extensions and weaves. Over time extensions or weaves will leave hair broken and brittle and the damage will be at the roots which is much harder to fix.
So what do you do if you’ve damaged your hair and want to get it back to its previous glory? Cut down on your styling tools and products. Less is definitely more when it comes to doing your hair. Cut off your damaged ends and start fresh. Wash your hair every other day and use an extra strength conditioner or extra moisturizing hair mask. If you are going to use a styling hot tool, use a product such as mousse or oil before you style to protect your hair. Sometimes you may have to just cut your hair and start fresh if your hair has been very badly damaged. Don’t worry it will grow back even better than before!
Have you ever damaged your hair badly? What did you do to retain your beautiful locks back to their original quality?