Most girls love doing their nails, changing the color, adding glitter and showing them off. But at the end of the day, the act of doing your nails, letting them dry and trying to get the color to stay for a few days is a pain. Here is a list of some tips and tricks to making doing your nails way easier.
- Use Vaseline around your nails on the skin for easy clean up. Once you’ve finished painting your nails, you can wipe off the Vaseline and any polish mistakes too.
- Use a white nail polish instead of a base-coat to make colors pop. This works especially well for bright colors. Be sure to let the white dry before you add the color on top of it. This is perfect for summer!
- Paint nail art designs on plastic wrap or a plastic sandwich bag, then peel them off and seal on your nails. Cover with a topcoat. Easy!
- Use paper hole reinforcement stickers for a half-moon mani, one of the latest trends. Simply place it along the base of your nail and paint over it and carefully remove when dry.
- Give yourself an easy French manicure by looping a rubber band around your fingertip.
- Give yourself a marbled mani with swirled nail polish and water. Fill a small paper cup with room-temperature water and grab two colors of nail polish. Add drops of each nail polish into the water, alternating paints and swirl together with an open paper clip to create a design. Then simply stick your finger in the water for a few seconds to create a marbled look on your nails.
- Make your nails dry faster with a few tips. You can either soak your nails in ice water after painting them to set the paint and make them dry faster or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove glitter, stubborn nail polish or gel polish by soaking cotton pads in acetone nail polish remover, wrapping them around your nails and securing with foil. Let sit for a few minutes then slide off the foil and cotton. Your nail polish will be off too!
- Do you ever shake up a nail polish bottle when it has been sitting around for a while? Don’t shake it next time; simply roll the bottle to prevent air bubbles.
- Ever have troubles opening a nail polish bottle? No one is around to help you? You can loosen a lid by soaking it in hot water or wrapping a rubber band around the handle for a better grip. To prevent this from happening next time, put some Vaseline around the lip of the bottle to prevent it from drying shut again.
- Apply thin strokes of nail polish, not thick and only do three strokes. This will prevent it from getting runny and gloppy.
- Always use a topcoat and make sure to get the tips of your nails, where it is most likely to chip.
- If your nails are dry, cracking or sensitive, make sure to use non-acetone nail polish remover. Also be sure to use cuticle oil religiously and never cut your cuticles. This will only aggravate the problem and cause your cuticles to grow faster.
- When filing your nails, always file in one direction. Filing back and forth can lead to peeling, splitting and breaking. Who wants that?
- If your nail polish has gotten too thick, pick up some nail thinner at the local beauty supply store and add a few drops.
What tips and tricks do you have to share? Send us your fabulous mani/pedi designs too!