I don’t know if it’s because I’m busy, or just lazy, but I have always loved the convenience of slow cooker meals. They are easy, fast, and flavorful! Likewise, I am a HUGE fan of Mexican-inspired foods. Tortilla soup has all the things I love best in Mexican cooking. The recipe below will not disappoint!
Slow-Cooker Tortilla Soup
- 1 chopped onion
- 1- 16 oz can of kidney beans
- 1- 16 oz can of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1- 8oz can of tomato paste
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies un-drained
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup of chopped Cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
Top soup with: **Optional**
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Shredded cheese
- Place of all the ingredients (except for optional ingredients) into slow cooker
- Cook on low for 7 hours
- Remove chicken and shred. Place back into pot.
- Serve with optional ingredients.
- Kidney beans are a high protein/ fiber food and are low in fat.
- A study that was posted by the “British Journal of Dermatology” found that 55g of tomato paste over a 3 month period, provided protection against sun damage on skin.
We would love to hear about your favorite slow-cooker recipes (or any yummy ‘must-trys’!) Feel free to share them in the comments below!