If being a product junkie hasn’t done much for your hair growth regimen, you may want to go back to the beginning. For most people, proper hair care begins by selecting a great cleanser and conditioner that’s designed to meet your hair needs. Check out my list of the best ones; conveniently grouped by hair type.
Dry Hair – If you have dry hair, choose a shampoo and conditioner that hydrates and moisturizes.
- Best Shampoo – Pantene Pro-V NatureFusion Moisture Balance Shampoo: Restores moisture to dry hair and keeps hair nourished for 24 hours.
- Best Conditioner – Aussie Moist Conditioner: Moisturizes and quenches your hair with Aloe leaf extract and Jojoba oil.
- Best Leave-In – Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Cream: An alcohol-free formula that uses three natural extracts to keep dry hair moisturized all day long.
Fine Hair – People with fine hair often benefit from a shampoo and conditioner that includes a thickening agent to increase the diameter of hair strands.
- Best Shampoo – Herbal Essences Body Envy Volumizing Shampoo: This formula gives limp strands increased volume and body without weighing your hair down.
- Best Conditioner – L’Oreal Paris EverPure Volume Conditioner: This conditioner uses natural botanicals to infuse fine hair with volume and body.
- Best Leave-In – Nexxus Headress Luscious Volume Leave-In Conditioner: Claims to be scientifically proven to give you thicker, fuller hair.
Color-Treated Hair – Choose a color-safe shampoo and conditioner that protects your hair and preserves color longer.
- Best Shampoo – Pantene Pro-V Color Hair Solutions Color Preserve Smooth Shampoo: This shampoo repairs damage caused by coloring and protects color from fading.
- Best Conditioner – Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Conditioner: Protects color and moisturizes hair to prevent dryness and dullness.
- Best Leave-In – It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In Product: This leave-in does everything; including sealing and protecting colored hair.
Damaged Hair – For damaged hair, choose a shampoo and conditioner that revitalizes, strengthens, and protects those frazzled tresses.
- Best Shampoo – Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Shampoo: With its combination of olive, avocado and shea oils that penetrate each strand, this shampoo does wonders to leave your hair soft, nourished and protected.
- Best Conditioner – Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Fortifying Conditioner: Those same ingredients make the conditioner a sure bet as well for damaged hair.
- Best Leave-In – Infusium 23 Repair & Renew 3 Leave-In Treatment: This leave-in is enriched with pro-vitamins, proteins and amino acids to restore and restructure damaged hair, and protect it against further damage and breakage.
Curly or Wavy Hair – Choose a shampoo and conditioner that moisturizes and hydrates hair without causing frizziness.
- Best Shampoo – DevaCurl No-Poo: This sulfate-free cleanser will leave your curls defined, bouncy and shiny.
- Best Conditioner – TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Conditioner: Formulated to add moisture and shine.
- Best Leave-In – Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave In Conditioner: Not only does this leave-in protect and moisturize hair, it’s also a great detangler.
Frizzy Hair – Get rid of the frizz by using a shampoo and conditioner that moisturizes your hair — leaving it smooth and sleek.
- Best Shampoo – Living Proof No Frizz Shampoo: Contains a patented anti-frizz molecule that eliminates frizzy hair by blocking humidity.
- Best Conditioner – John Frieda Frizz-Ease Curl Around Daily Conditioner: Contains ingredients designed to resist frizz and leave hair soft, smooth, and shiny.
- Best Leave-In – Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-In Conditioning Cream: Blocks humidity to fight frizz for 48 hours.
If you prefer matching products, you’ll be happy to know that most of the product lines I researched offered a shampoo, conditioner, and leave-in for each hair type. However, don’t be afraid to mix and match products for different results.
What do you use for your hair type? Leave a comment below!