Maybe you’re under 18 and don’t listen to your parents or other adults, even when it comes to hair care. Or maybe you’re older and wish you had known these tips when you were young. Either way, here are some things to keep in mind for every age.
- Don’t use hot styling tools every day. If you have hair that needs a little help, invest in a good spray or cream that protects your hair from heat damage. If you straighten your hair, only go over sections a few times and try to only style a few times a week. Otherwise, your hair will become damaged very quickly.
- Just like styling, don’t shampoo every day unless your hair is extremely oily. Shampooing and styling every day will strip your hair of its natural oils and make it dull and even damaged. Give yourself a break… second day hair usually looks great! Just invest in a good dry shampoo for days when you get a little greasy.
- High quality products are worth it. Cheaper brands contain lots of alcohol and other chemical ingredients that don’t really help your hair at all. High quality, salon brands are worth the investment for what they do for your hair. If you aren’t sure what brand to buy, ask a trusted hair stylist.
- Super tight ponytails can actually cause hair breakage and hair loss in the long run. Do your hair and your head a favor and loosen your ponytails or buns.
- Scratching your scalp can also damage your hair, specifically the hair follicles. When massaging your scalp or shampooing your hair, be sure to use the pads of your fingers and not your nails. This will stimulate blood flow to your hair follicles and make your hair grow, while scratching them with your nails with do more damage than good.
- If you have a bad habit that involves twirling your hair, do yourself a favor and quit. Twirling your hair can damage it or even make you pull it out, which is another condition in itself.
- Lastly, appreciate the hair that you’ve got and dare to be different! If you want to try a new hair style, but are afraid what people will think, silence that voice and go for it. Hair grows, so you’re never stuck with a bad style for long if it doesn’t turn out as you imagined. Make the most of the hair you were given and know that you’re beautiful no matter what!
What hair care tips do you wish you had known when you were younger? Are there any you would add to this list? Share with us!