Large pores are one of the most common skin issues that women deal with on a regular basis. There’s a lot you can do to minimize large pores if you take the time to care for your skin properly. Here are some tips on making your pores look smaller.
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate! Use a combination of exfoliants, especially in the areas where your large pores appear, which is generally the T-zone area. Use facial scrubs and chemical exfoliants on a regular basis to remove dry skin and make your pores appear smaller. Chemical exfoliants can actually get into pores and help clean them out. Just make sure you don’t exfoliate too much or you can make your skin very dry and irritated. If you have sensitive skin, test an exfoliant, especially a chemical one, on one patch of skin before you apply it all over.
- Next, always wear sunscreen. When you are exposed to UVA and UVB rays they create free radical damage to your skin and that slows down cell production and forces your skin to work harder. This can make your pores look larger.
- Make sure to wash your face twice a day and use a facial brush to get everything cleaned out from the day. This is especially important if you are sweating or working out. Make sure to cleanse your face after you work out or have been sweating for a while to prevent the sweat from clogging your pores. Bring moist towelettes to the gym for a quick and easy cleanup of your skin.
- Try retinol-based products. Retinol-based products work by decreasing the closeness of epidermal cells so everything gets removed from the pores. Most of these products are wrinkle reducing products, but they also help reduce large pores.
- Take steam and open up your pores to remove impurities. Either visit a spa or get a facial that includes a steam or create one at home. This could also be done in a hot, steaming shower. An herbal facial steam can be easily done at home. Simply combine hot water, rose petals, lavender, pansy, rosemary, basil and mint in a large bowl. Cover the top of the bowl with a towel for five minutes then remove the towel and put your face over the steam. Remain under the towel for about 10-15 minutes and inhale the amazing scent. Steam opens up your pores and cleans them out. Rinse with warm water after and pat dry. Apply moisturizer to keep your skin moisturized and healthy.
- Lastly, treat yourself! You deserve it, pretty lady! Book a spa day or visit your dermatologist and ask for the latest treatments for getting rid of large pores. One of the most popular treatments is microdermabrasion. Microdermabrasion peels off the outermost layer of skin, suctioning dirt, hardened oil and blackheads from the pores. When everything comes out, your pores return to a natural, smaller shape since there isn’t anything inside of them. Microdermabrasion also stimulates collagen production and increases elasticity which is great for those with aging skin and keeps pores tight for a longer period of time. Ask spas in your area or your dermatologist for the latest treatments or products for large pores and they will help you determine which procedures or products are best for your specific skin type.
Have you ever worried about large pores and tried different products or procedures to try to make your pores smaller? Share with us what has worked and what hasn’t! We would love to hear your thoughts!