Makeup mistakes are generally easy to make and I’m sure all of us have made a makeup faux pas at one time or another. Here are some makeup meltdowns that you will want to avoid or fix if you find yourself guilty.
- Wearing the wrong shade of foundation is a big one. When buying foundation, ask if you can try it before you buy or return a shade after you’ve tried it. Then buy two shades that come closest to your natural skin tone, apply each of them to your jawline and see which one looks most natural. If you have a hard time deciding, ask a close friend to give you her honest opinion. Take a look in natural outside lighting and inside lighting. Also, make sure you are using the right shade of blush and concealer to avoid a “clown look”.
- Another no-no is applying makeup to really dry skin. First, use a moisturizer and exfoliate once a week. Applying foundation on dry skin will make it look flaky and it won’t blend in correctly.
- Don’t be that person who never cleans their makeup brushes or one who shares makeup. It will only inhabit germs and bacteria, make your skin break out and make your makeup look less fresh and gorgeous on you. Wash your makeup tools with a mild shampoo or brush cleanser weekly and replace sponges regularly.
- Most people also forget to prime their skin before putting on makeup. Using primer before you apply your makeup will create a smoother, more hydrated surface and help your makeup stay put for much longer.
- Another mistake in regards to foundation is wearing the same foundation year round. Chances are your skin is tanner in the summer and more pale in the winter and you need to switch your foundation according to your natural skin tone.
- You may have tested makeup colors on the back of your hand, but this isn’t a good test for cosmetics that go on your face. Testing on your jawline is your best bet.
- You might be applying powder to keep the greasies away, but chances are you are powdering the wrong areas or applying too much. Over powdering can make your face look cakey. Instead, use blotting papers to absorb the oil. If you do use powder, focus on the T-zone, use a brush and tap away any excess powder and gently press into your skin.
- Another mistake is shading your brows too dark. You might be filling in your brows if they are sparse, but penciling in too much can age you. Use a brow pencil that is a shade lighter than your brows to make it look less heavy and intense.
- You also might be wearing the wrong shades of eye shadow. Go for the opposite color of your eye color instead of trying to match them exactly. For blue eyes, try brown, copper, bronze or plum. For brown or hazel eyes, try blue purple, green or mahogany.
- Lastly, don’t over apply mascara or lip gloss for a more natural look. If you apply too much mascara, your lashes will get clumpy. Take the time to separate your lashes and never curl your lashes when they are wet with mascara. For lip gloss, only apply to the center of your lips to create the perfect pouty shape and make you look like you have whiter teeth.
Did you learn any new makeup tips or realize you have been making some makeup mistakes? Share with us your thoughts and any tips you have to share!