Whether you’re looking to add a little volume to limp tresses, or trying to get your favorite ‘do to stay in place a little longer, hair spray is just what the stylist ordered. Check out 13 of the best hair sprays on the market and why they more than hold up to the competition.
● Best Firm Hold – Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray : This fast-drying, non-flaking hair spray promises a 24-hour firm hold, and UV filters and anti-oxidants to fight humidity. ($27 – Online)
● Best Flexible Hold – Nexxus Comb Thru Natural Hold Design and Finishing Mist : Whether your hairdo requires a strong hold, or just the right amount of movement, this hair spray delivers. ($10 – In Stores & Online)
● Best Anti-Frizz – Garnier Fructis Style Sleek & Shine Anti-Humidity Hairspray : This hair spray contains UV filters and bamboo extract to give you 24-hour, ultra strong protection in high humidity. ($4 – In Stores & Online)
● Best Shine – Moroccan oil Luminous Hairspray : Not only does this hair spray contain argan oil, it also contains vitamin E. Both ingredients work together to give your hair a shine boost without weighing it down or leaving it sticky. ($17 – Online)
● Best Color Protection – Garnier Fructis Style Anti-Humidity Hairspray UV Color Shield Ultra Strong Hold : The UV color shield in this hair spray protects color from fading and looking dull, and leaves hair vibrant and shiny. ($4 – In Stores & Online)
● Best for Blondes – John Frieda Sheer Blonde Crystal Clear Hairspray : A non-dulling, non-yellowing hair spray created especially for natural and color-treated blondes. This product offers a flexible hold that won’t weigh down or darken blonde tresses. ($6 – In Stores & Online)
● Best for Fine Hair – Bumble and Bumble Thickening Hairspray : This hair spray adds volume and moderate hold without weighing down fine hair. ($28 – In Stores & Online)
● Best for Wavy Hair – Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Texturizing Sea Spray : A hair spray especially designed to create tousled, beachy waves on straight hair, and enhance, define, and add volume to hair that’s naturally wavy or curly. ($18 to $24 – In Stores & Online)
● Best for Curly Hair – DevaCurl Flexible-Hold Hair Spray : If you’re looking for a hair spray that offers flexible hold and radiant shine, as well as great curl retention, this is it! This product is also 100% sulfate, paraben, and silicone-free. ($10 for 1.5 oz. or $25 for 10 oz. – In Stores & Online)
● Best Unscented – L’Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Unscented Hairspray : Get everything you want and expect from the original version of this hair spray–long-lasting hold, no build-up, and radiant shine finish–without the overwhelming smell! ($15 – In Stores & Online)
● Best for the Environment – CHI Enviro 54 Hairspray : A fast-drying hair spray enriched with natural herbs and silk proteins to leave your hair smooth and shiny without added weight or build-up. This product also contains a low VOC to help protect the environment. ($6 for 2.6 oz. or $16 for 12 oz. – In Stores & Online)
● Best Non-Aerosol – Pantene Pro-V Stylers Non-Aerosol Hairspray : If you prefer your hair spray dispensed via a pump-sprayer, this is a great product to try. Non-aerosol products generally offer more control than aerosol products and often last longer. They also offer more even coverage without excess. ($5 – In Stores & Online)
● Best Price – Final Net All Day Hold Hairspray : Don’t feel like spending $20, or even $6 on hair spray? No problem! This hair spray can be purchased at most drugstores and retailers for under $3. But don’t let the price fool you, Final Net is comparable to all the other hair sprays on this list. ($3 – In Stores & Online)
Do you have any favorites that aren’t listed? Please share them with us below!