Eye makeup can be the hardest makeup skill to master. For those beginning to use eye makeup or who just want to learn more, here are some tips.
- Start with a clean slate. Make sure your eyelids are oil free and use an eye shadow primer if necessary or if you want your eye makeup to last all day.
- Try to keep your eyes open when applying eyeliner and keep it as close to the eye lashes as possible. You want it to look part of your eye and very natural.
- If you want to make your eyes look bigger, use a white pencil in the inner rims of your eyes and use whatever color liner you want on the outside.
- If you use different colors for your top and bottom lash lines, never use a darker color on the bottom lashes. It looks fine to line only the top lashes, but make sure to line the top lashes if you line the bottom.
- To make your eyelashes look longer, place mascara near the roots and not the tips.
- Shake the brush horizontally back and forth to avoid eyelashes sticking together.
- Use an eye lash comb to remove any clumps after applying mascara.
- Use an eyelash curler before or after applying mascara or both.
- Use tissue paper under your bottom eye lashes when applying mascara there to avoid getting it on your face.
- Choose eye shadows based on your skin tone.
- Apply a primer if you want the color to stand out and last longer.
- Brush the base color on the eyes up to the brow bone. You’ll want that to be the lightest color. Then apply the medium color to your lid and the darkest color as a highlight.
- To create a smoky eye, keep the color to the lid and under the lower lash line.
- Blow dry the eye lash curler with low heat to get a better curling of your lashes.
- Buy different eye makeup applicators and brushes to ensure they are high quality.
- Remember to wear natural eye makeup if you wear a bold lip or a natural lip if you want a smoky or dark eye.
- You don’t need to match your eye makeup with your outfit. This can look tacky.
Do you ever use these tips for your eye makeup? Share your tips!