In the summer months, your mind may be preoccupied about keeping your stomach thin for all those bikini days. Here are some helpful tips and tricks to keeping your belly flat this summer.
- Drink lots of water! Drinking water helps keep you from becoming bloated. Be sure to drink water throughout the day, using Apps on your phone, timers or fancy water bottles if necessary. Fluids help excel waste from the body and will help keep you from becoming bloated due to PMS or eating habits.
- Keep on top of your ab workouts. Planks and crunches are great exercises for getting and keeping a flat tummy. Alternate ab workouts to ensure that your body doesn’t get too used to any workouts because then you won’t get the results you desire. There are lots of ab workout DVDs or Youtube videos to try. Don’t do the same workout every day and switch it up often so your muscles are constantly working. Being sore is key here!
- Avoid the “bad” carbs and junk food. White bread, sugar, and foods with bleached flour and all junk food will only make you bloat. Reach for healthy whole grains like quinoa, oatmeal and brown rice to whittle your middle. Also go for potassium-rich foods like bananas, avocados, kiwis and dates, which help banish bloating. Eat lots of healthy fruits and vegetables and lean proteins to help see those abs. Repeat the mantra, “abs are made in the kitchen”. You can work out all you want, but if you are eating an unhealthy diet, you won’t see the results you crave.
- Make sure you’re doing your cardio along with your ab workouts! Aerobic activity burns calories, which help show your muscles. Try a new exercise such as tennis, jogging, walking or kickboxing. Go for exercises that allow you to use your abdominal muscles frequently.
- Skip gum. Chewing gum gets swallowed air trapped in your GI tract and causes bloating. Use mints instead.
- Keep a good posture at all times. When you are sitting, sit tall instead of leaning back and use your ab muscles whenever you can.
- Lastly, eat more fiber! Fiber can help you lose weight, especially in the tummy area.
What are your favorite tips for a flat belly? Do you have a diet or exercise routine you use every summer to get bikini ready? Share with us!