If you are acne prone and nothing is helping, simply try revamping your diet. There are some foods that help inflame acne and some foods that help reduce acne. Do yourself a favor and choose the healthier alternatives that will help calm your troubled skin.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Foods with omega-3 fatty acids give your skin a glow and reduce inflammation. This includes foods like salmon, flax seeds and walnuts. If you’re a picky eater, try sprinkling flax seed in your morning smoothie. You won’t even taste it but you’ll receive the benefits!
- Antioxidants: Make sure your daily vitamins contain antioxidants and try to eat foods with them too. Cherries, berries, green tea and spinach are great choices. They attack free radicals in your body that can cause breakouts and other types of skin damage.
- Selenium: Selenium is a powerful antioxidant found in Brazil nuts, almonds, onions, garlic and whole grains. It helps reduce inflammation and increases skin’s elasticity.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is great for your body in many ways, including helping to heal damaged or irritated skin. It can also help protect your skin from acne scars. Boost your immune system with melons, oranges, tomatoes and get your daily dose in vitamin form too.
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E also protects your skin from acne scars. Eggs, leafy greens, almonds and other nuts are great sources.
- Vitamin A: Carrots, bell peppers, sweet potatoes and cantaloupes have beta-carotene which enhances the benefits of selenium. So try to eat foods with Vitamin A and selenium together.
- Water: While water is not necessarily a food, dry plenty of it and eat foods that have a high water content such as watermelon and cucumbers. Hydration is crucial for healthy skin.
- Magnesium: Magnesium helps balance hormones that can cause acne. Artichokes, oatmeal, brown rice and figs are great sources of magnesium to keep your zits under control.
- Avoid Low Sodium Foods/White Processed Foods: Staying away from super salty foods will only help keep your acne under control. Also, processed foods with tons of sugar make your blood sugar levels spike which can cause acne. Do yourself a favor and stick with whole “clean foods”.
Do you have acne? Do you find that it helps to eat healthier when you have a breakout? Which of these foods are your favorites?