If you have naturally curly hair, styling your hair might be a constant battle. But here are some tips for those with naturally curly hair to treat your hair and make it look its best.
First of all, don’t wash your hair every day. Natural oils are great for making curls look their best. When you do wash your hair, look for a shampoo and conditioner made specifically for curled haired gals or guys. You’ll probably want an extra moisturizing conditioner because curly hair is prone to dryness and frizz.
After washing your hair, use a wide tooth comb to gently comb your hair when it is damp. Use a detangling spray if necessary. Use several styling products if necessary to get the best result. Ask your hairstylist for the right products for your specific hair type and needs. You might want to use a volumizing product at the roots and a smoothing product towards the ends. You can also set it with a gentle hairspray that won’t become stiff or crunchy.
Try not to dry your hair with a hair dryer, as it could lead to frizz. If you do need to dry your hair quickly, use a diffuser and follow these tips.
- Section your hair into 4-6 workable sections or more if your hair is very thick.
- Take a section and pile it into the diffuser when the blow dryer is off.
- Then turn your blow dryer on and wait for the section to dry.
- Turn off the blow dry and wait about 15-30 seconds and then remove the diffuser from the section of hair.
- Complete until all sections are dry then flip your head over and shake your root area to blend the sections together and you’ll have fabulous curls!
Lastly, understand the type of curls that you have and work with what you’ve got! Ask your hairstylist for advice based on the type of curls you have, whether they are ringlets or waves. They will be able to give you realistic expectations for the type of style you have and want to achieve. Remember to love your hair and treat it well because it is what you were born with and you look fabulous!
Do you have naturally curly hair? Do you use these tips or something else that works for you and your hair? Share with us!