You’ve heard it all before. You know which foods and drinks are bad for you, yet you still chow or guzzle them down. Soda is a big one that many people drink on a daily basis. Some people are simply addicted to the caffeine in soda.
Have you ever seen this photo? Would you sit and eat 10 or more sugar cubes in one sitting? Probably not, but if you’re drinking soda, you will be. Studies show that drinking 16 ounces of sugary drinks a day increases your risk of a stroke by 22%. It also increases your risk of heart attacks and heart disease, diabetes, cancer and other scary diseases.
It also causes obesity, cavities, accelerated aging and issues with hormone levels. Here are some other health reasons to stop drinking soda today:
- It increases your blood pressure, which can lead to other health problems and even put you on medication.
- It doesn’t just cause cavities; it can actually decay and destroy your teeth.
- It may contain BVO or brominated vegetable oil, which is banned in over 100 countries, but not in the United States.
- It is linked to developing osteoporosis and weakens your bones.
- It can increase the risk of developing kidney stones.
- It causes heartburn or acid reflux because of the acid in soda. Notice if you are using Tums or another antacid after drinking soda.
- It is linked with liver problems.
- If you drink or buy soda in other countries, it may contain pesticides.
Do you drink soda on a regular basis? You can quit! You may develop headaches and mood swings if you quit cold turkey or even miss a soda one day and it may deter you from quitting. Start by weaning yourself from the unhealthy liquid. If you drink several sodas a day, get yourself down slowly to avoid caffeine related headaches. If you need a beverage to wake yourself up in the morning, switch to coffee or tea. Tea, especially, can have many health benefits as well as the tools to get you out of bed in the morning.
Do you drink soda? Do you have any health problems that could be related to your diet? Share with us your story and especially if you quit drinking soda and felt better or decreased any health problems!