Sometimes you just need some comfort food. This recipe is like a fuzzy blanket, it gives you the comfort you are searching for. Although this recipe can be a bit heavy, I have added some modifications to make this a healthier recipe.
6-8 chicken thighs (you can use chicken breast if you are watching your calories)
Salt & pepper to taste
2 Tablespoons of butter
4 cloves of minced garlic
6 ounces of mushrooms
1 cup of chicken broth
2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
¼ cup of heavy cream (you can use a light version if you would like to cut additional calories)
Fresh herbs to taste (I used parsley)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken thighs
- Melt butter on skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken thighs, skin side down and brown both sides. Takes about 4 minutes each side.
- Remove chicken thighs and place in a baking dish.
- Cook garlic and mushrooms in the same pan the chicken was browned in with the excess chicken fat and butter. Cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Place mushrooms and excess juice into the baking dish with the chicken.
- Pour chicken broth over mixture.
- Season with Italian seasoning.
- Place baking dish in the oven and roast for 30 minutes or until internal temperature is 175 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and place chicken on a plate. Pour mushroom mixture and excess juices into the skillet. Add heavy cream and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Turn off stove and add the chicken back in the skillet. Pour mushroom sauce over the chicken and garnish with fresh herbs.