Most of us start feeling sluggish in the afternoon and might head for an extra cup of coffee or a candy bar. These help you feel more awake, but can cause a sugar crash a few minutes or hours later. Then we are more tired than before. Here are some healthy foods that will give you a boost, without the crash.
- Whole grains. Whole grains release energy slow and steadily, unlike sugar that releases it quickly giving you a high then a slump again soon after. Whole grain pasta or rice is great for a lunch energy boost.
- Water. Being hydrated is the best way to have energy all day. Have a water bottle at your desk and make sure to refill it at least a few times during the day. It is the best and easiest way to stay awake and alert all day.
- Almonds. Nuts are a great energy boost, especially almonds. They contain vitamin E, magnesium and protein.
- Seafood. Grab some tuna or fish with your lunch for the vitamins that keep you full and alert. Having seafood at least once a week can increase your energy levels exponentially.
- Fruit. Any type of fruit is a great way to get a sugar boost without the crazy crash. The best way to eat fruit is by itself as an afternoon snack. Fruit digests much faster than most foods, so eating it with something else can mess up your digestion and make you feel sluggish.
- Beans. You may want to avoid beans at the office for the usual reasons, but beans are great for your energy levels. They are full of nutrients and protein and add healthy protein to any salad, soup or pasta. This is especially helpful for vegetarians.
- Leafy greens. Kale, spinach and collard greens are a great addition to your salad or sandwich because of the high dose of vitamins.
- Green tea. Green tea is a great alternative to coffee or pop because it has a low amount of caffeine without all the sugar. It is a great way to hydrate yourself and maximize your energy levels.
- Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has lots of healthy protein to keep you going. Just make sure you watch how much sugar is in your favorite type of greek yogurt or look into making your own.
- Eggs. Eggs also have a lot of healthy protein and can be great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. They help keep you full and energized all day long.
What different healthy snacks do you depend on to keep you energized all day long? Share with us your go-to snacks!