Stretch marks are notoriously caused by pregnancy, but you can also get them from rapid weight gain or weight loss, puberty or muscle building. It can also be caused by medical conditions such as diabetes, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, or Cushing’s syndrome. They are classified as marks that look unusual on your skin and can be embarrassing. Stretch marks are caused by rapid skin stretching, which causes the tissues in your elastic dermis layer of skin to break down. Then reddish or purple scars appear. They can become white over a long period of time.
While most of us just think of stretch marks and pregnant women, men can develop them too from the other causes above. They generally develop on your thighs, calves, hips, breasts, belly, lower back and upper arm.
There are many creams and gels out there that work to reduce the appearance of stretch marks, but there are natural home remedies to try as well.
- Cocoa butter. Cocoa butter is great to use to prevent stretch marks from developing and also to get rid of the appearance. You may have heard of pregnant women rubbing cocoa butter on their thighs, buttocks area and abdomen during all stages of pregnancy.
- Shea butter. Massage shea butter also works great. When applying cocoa or shea butter, make sure to massage to improve circulation.
- A mixture of shea butter, olive oil and almond oil. Use this twice a day for a few months to get rid of stretch marks.
- A mixture of aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil and olive oil also works wonders.
- A mixture of two tablespoons of almond oil and a tablespoon of castor oil.
- A mixture of lavender oil, almond oil, olive oil, emu oil, rosehip oil, vitamin E oil and flaxseed oil.
- A mixture of one tablespoon of wheat germ and one tablespoon of calendula oil.
- A mixture of a half teaspoon chamomile oil, a half teaspoon lavender oil and another carrier oil (think almond oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, etc.). Apply for 15-20 minutes and then wash off with cold water.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water to get rid of stretch marks and improve the elasticity of the skin.
Remember that stretch marks can be reduced considerably but you can’t get rid of them completely with natural remedies. If you are really bothered by the appearance of your stretch marks, see a dermatologist for what more you can do to get rid of them.
Do you have stretch marks? Do you have any natural remedies that have worked for you? Share with us!