For those with sensitive eyes, applying makeup around your eye area can be a pain. Irritation can occur, such as eye redness, itching and simply all around irritation which can cause rubbing and make your eye makeup come off. Here are a few tips to help you if you have sensitive eyes and have problems applying eye makeup because of your delicate eyes.
- Clean your brushes regularly. Dirt and makeup gets accumulated over time in your brushes and using unclean brushes, especially around your eyes can lead to eye infections. Clean your brushes weekly with a mild shampoo or brush cleanser and let them air dry.
- Switch from powder eye shadows to creamy eye shadows. Powder shadows can flake and especially glittery or shimmery eye shadows can get into your eyes more easily than a creamy eye shadow can.
- Avoid lining your inner eye. If you have sensitive eyes, keep your eye liner on the outside of your lash line.
- Choose quality brands and products. Ask at your local beauty supply store which brands are best for sensitive eyes. They may be more expensive but it will be worth it to actually get to use without irritation.
- Replace products every few months and never share eye products. Even if you keep your products very clean, there is always a chance of bacteria growth on old products. Replace every few months to ensure you have a clean product to use around your eyes.
- Use a primer and foundation. They keep your makeup in place and act as a shield for sensitive skin around your eye area. Choose one for sensitive skin for even more protection and apply before you apply your eye makeup.
- Avoid mascaras that could irritate your eye and don’t wear it every day. Look for mascara formulated for sensitive eyes and always test before you wear out in public.
- Always wash your hands before you touch your eyes or apply eye makeup. Avoid rubbing your eyes, especially when applying or removing makeup to avoid makeup getting stuck in your eye.
- Lastly, always remove makeup, especially before bed. If you have sensitive eyes, not removing makeup can be especially damaging. Use a mild cleanser or makeup remover.
Do you have sensitive eyes? Do they get irritated often? Do you know the cause? Let us know if these tips have helped us!