Exercise is one of those things in life – you know you should do it daily, but you procrastinate. Here are some ways to trick yourself into working out more and motivate yourself to get to the gym.
- Make it a top priority – one you can’t flake out on. Develop the mindset that your workout is like a flight. You wouldn’t want to miss a flight right? So don’t miss your workout either! Remember that your work, the DVR and other things that make you procrastinate will never leave you, but your health can. Make your health a top priority.
- Start logging a food, sleep and exercise journal. If you have to write it down or share with your Facebook friends, you’ll feel more accountable and will be less likely to skip your daily workout or eat junk food if someone is there to criticize you. Even if that person is you, writing down what you’re doing (or not doing) can help motivate.
- Schedule it as an appointment in your planner or phone. When you treat a workout like an appointment, something you can’t skip, you’re less likely to bail. Set aside certain times within the week where you always work out and make it a routine. After a few times, if you skip it, chances are you will feel like something is missing.
- Use a support system of healthy people. If your friends often convince you to skip your workouts for happy hour, don’t ditch them, but add some new people to your social circle. Find like-minded healthy friends who will keep you accountable to go to the gym with them. Find more active friends and suggest walks or yoga classes as a way to spend time together. If you have a hard time finding active friends, join a club or group at a gym or start talking to someone new at a yoga or exercise class.
- Consistently change your healthy goals to keep things fresh. Instead of simply setting a goal to work out a few times a week, make your goals more specific and switch them up. Start training for a marathon, go to a yoga class a week, or whatever you want to do. Make your goals fun and attainable and when you start to get bored, switch it up!
What motivation tricks do you use to work out more? Share with us your secrets!