When planning a sexy makeup look, it’s likely that a dramatic, red lip immediately comes to mind. There’s no denying the appeal of glossy lips, but a bold, matte lip can be just as eye-catching. Gone are the days when matte lipsticks were only favored by women looking for a more sophisticated and professional alternative to shiny lipsticks. The popularity of matte lipstick is at an all time high, and being worn by women of all ages, from all walks of life. But before you decide to join the trend, check out a few of the best matte lipsticks on the market, along with a few tips that will take your look from simple to spectacular.
6 of the Best Matte Lipsticks
- Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick. Revlon is well-known for making great lipsticks, and this collection is no different. You can count on this ultra-creamy formula to provide intense color payoff without dryness or fading. There are currently only six shades in this collection, but they cover most of the bases for everyday wear. ($5 to $9)
- NARS Pure Matte Lipstick. If you’re worried about matte lipsticks being cakey or chalky, you’ll love NARS’ super-rich formula that includes mango butter, vitamin E, and, acai oil to provide your lips with the ultimate moisture and comfort. This line mostly features nudes, pinks, reds, and berries, but the colors are very vibrant and long-wearing. ($26)
- NYX Soft Matte Cream. “Neither lipstick nor lip gloss…” Whatever NYX wants to call this lip color, it’s definitely worth buying. It has the consistency of a cream, and goes on silky smooth like a lipgloss, but sets to a pigmented, matte finish like a lipstick. ($6)
- Wet ‘N Wild Megalast Matte Lipstick. Although Wet ‘N Wild is considered to be a “cheapy” drugstore brand, there’s nothing cheap about the quality of this line of matte lipsticks. They’re actually extremely opaque and long-wearing. If you’re not sure about matte lipsticks I recommend you start here since they’re only about $2. Plus this line includes over two dozen different colors! ($2)
- Ruby Kisses Ultra Matte Super Rich Lipstick. This brand has so many incredible matte lipsticks that you’ll have a hard time not buying them all. Whether you’re looking for a plain, nude color, or a vibrant, bold color, there’s something for every occasion. They have everything from pink and red, to electric blue and gray. You’ll also love that all Ruby Kisses matte lipsticks are rich and creamy, and long-lasting. ($2.99)
- MAC Matte/Retro Matte. Although MAC makes several lipsticks with a matte finish, none is probably more well-known than “Ruby Woo.” MAC’s ever-popular, dramatic red lipstick is not only one of MAC’s best selling lipsticks, it’s also one of the most popular matte lipsticks of all time. Although this lipstick has been around since 1999, I think it’s popularity increases more and more each year. I honestly don’t know any matte lipstick wearer who hasn’t owned this lipstick. In fact, it’s the first matte lipstick I ever purchased. ($16).
5 Tips for Wearing Matte Lipstick
One thing to remember when wearing matte lipsticks, is that although they can be undeniably beautiful, they can also be extremely unforgiving if applied incorrectly. Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- Prep your lips. Since matte lipsticks tend to emphasize dry or chapped lips, exfoliate your lips to remove any peeling skin. Just apply a little lip scrub to your lips, and scrub gently with a toothbrush. Once your lips are soft, apply a little lip balm to your lips to add moisture. Blot any excess balm, and wait about 10 minutes before following up with the lipstick.
- Line your lips. Although you don’t have to worry about matte lipstick feathering and bleeding the way other other lipstick finishes can, lining your lips beforehand makes your lips look much neater. It also provides a sort of “base coat” for the matte lipstick to cling to.
- Use a lip brush. If you find it difficult to get an even, precise application with the lipstick bullet, try using a lip brush instead. Or, if you prefer, use the lip brush for filling in the edges of your lips only.
- Blot and repeat. Once you’ve applied the lipstick, blot any excess using blotting paper or a paper napkin. Avoid tissue as it can leave behind residue. Apply a second coat for more intense, longer-lasting color.
- Clean up any mistakes. Use a precision tip cotton swab to clean up any excess lipstick. You can also apply a little concealer around your lips to cover any flaws and perfect your desired lip shape.