Makeup does have expiration dates, but makeup can be hard to part with, especially if it cost a pretty penny. Some of us actually throw makeup away prematurely or toss it when it is broken and could be easily fixed and used again. Here are some tips on getting every last cent out of your makeup products and using it all up until it’s gone.
- Scoop it out. If your lipstick or lip balm is almost empty, but not quite and can’t twist up anymore, use a lip brush or Q-tip to scoop it out. You can then put it in another container or get one last use out of your favorite lipstick. Don’t scrape the tube against your lips trying to get the last bit of your favorite color anymore!
- We all know the agony that you feel when you drop a powder product and it shatters. Don’t toss it because you can save it! You can use a few drops of rubbing alcohol and press the pieces back together. It will be just like new.
- If your mascara has started to become dry and clumpy before its expiration date, use a few drops of saline eye drops and mix together with the wand. It will moisten the mascara and make it easier to use.
- If you have products that use a pump, it can be very annoying when the last bit of product won’t pump out but isn’t empty. Stop pumping! Use the stem of the pump to scrape the product out. Chances are you’ll get plenty of uses of it when you were about to toss it.
- Limit your products exposure to the air. Make sure you keep your makeup products sealed tightly and don’t leave them out in the open as the air can make them dry out much faster.
- Lastly, don’t store makeup in the bathroom or expose it to moisture in the air. The moisture from the shower can seep in and diminish the shelf life. Store your makeup in an airtight container if you do choose to keep it stored in your bathroom.
Do you ever use these tips to make your makeup and beauty products last longer? Have you ever thrown any of these products away prematurely? Where do you store your makeup? Share with us in the comments!