All of us damage our hair every day, in many ways you may not even realize. Here are some things we may do every day that causes damage to our hair:
- Blow drying
- Brushing and/or teasing the hair
- Being in humid weather
- Coloring or bleaching
- Poor diet
- Sun exposure
- Chlorine exposure
Damage to your hair actually affects the cuticle of the hair first. When your cuticle is damaged it pulls away and your hair shaft will break. The keratin in your hair also begins to pull away and break. All of this can lead to breakage and dull hair.
Now that you know how hair can become damaged, how do you prevent this damage? Here are some tips:
- Go with your natural color and texture. If you do decide to heat your hair by blow drying, curling or straightening, use a heat protectant spray and use the lowest heat setting you can.
- Only use wide tooth combs on wet hair. Brushing too harshly can lead to breakage.
- Avoid coloring or chemically altering your hair by perming or chemically straightening your hair. If you do decide to color your hair, use a more natural dye or only do it every once in a while. Regularly coloring your hair can really damage it.
- If you are a swimmer, wear a swim cap while swimming in salt water or a chlorinated pool to avoid damage to the hair.
- Use products designed for UV protection for your hair when out in the sun.
- Get regular trims to cut off split ends and prevent them from splitting further.
- Use deep conditioners or get deep conditioning treatments from your hair stylist to help restore moisture.
- Ask your hair stylist for the best products for your specific hair type to prevent damage.
Do you have damaged hair? Did you know all of those things on the list damage your hair? What