Your metabolism helps you burn calories all day long. The hard truth is that some people are born with a faster metabolism than others, but there are still some ways you can boost yours to help yourself lose weight faster or maintain a healthy weight.
- Eat breakfast within one hour of waking up. Your first meal of the day revs up your metabolism that has been resting while you sleep. So make sure your breakfast is healthy and includes lots of fiber and protein.
- When you get to work or while running errands, park farther away and walk. Walking more throughout the day will boost your metabolism and get your heart rate up for short periods of time. So skip the elevator and take the stairs too!
- Go ahead and have coffee or tea. Studies show that caffeine boosts your metabolism mildly. Just make it a healthy caffeinated beverage. Sugary coffee drinks or pop are so unhealthy it will override any benefits to your metabolism.
- Moving more throughout the day will keep your metabolism working effectively. Make sure to move whenever you can. Visit a co-worker at their desk instead of calling. Drink more water and take more bathroom breaks. Simply stand up every hour and stretch. Walk at your lunch hour. Every little bit helps!
- Eat a healthy lunch and drink plenty of cold water during the day. When you drink cold water, your body has to work harder to keep your temperature warm, so you’ll burn more calories.
- Fit in time to work out. Try HIIT or high intensity interval training to boost your metabolism. You won’t lose weight or kick start your metabolism by not challenging your body. Make a playlist with slow and fast songs alternating to help you vary your rhythm and keep things interesting.
- After your workout, try drinking chocolate milk to restore glucose and keep your metabolism right on track. It is the perfect mix of carbs and protein and tastes delicious!
- At dinner, add some spice to your plate. Spices are naturally fat free and have been shown to boost your metabolism. Win, win!
- In the evening, take some time to relax. If you’re stressed out, your body will release a chemical called cortisol and too much cortisol will slow down your metabolism.
- Lastly, get lots of sleep! Aim for seven to eight hours to help your body restore and recover from the day.
Did you know all of these tips help boost your metabolism? Do you know if you have a fast or slow metabolism?