Everyone probably has certain times when their hair doesn’t cooperate and is dry and damaged. If your hair is often damaged, you might need to switch up your hair care routine and listen to this advice:
- Stop heat styling every day. When you set your heating tools on high and use one or several products a day without heat protectants, you are setting your hair up to become very damaged. Instead, don’t wash your hair every day and don’t use heating tools daily either. Try to air dry your hair whenever you can and if you have to blow dry, use a brush only on hair that is ¾ of the way dry. Always use a heat protectant before you blow dry or use a straightener or curling iron. Also use a medium to low setting for the heat.
- Experiment with heat-free styling. Play up your natural texture. If you want curls, braid your hair at night or pin curls while you sleep.
- Stop using products that dry and damage the hair. Choose products that are sulfate free because sulfates are simply detergents that give you the lathering effect but in reality, strip your hair of moisture. Look for more natural products or better yet, make your own.
- Buy a new hair dryer. If you use an old dryer or never clean the air vents, it can be very damaging to your hair. This is because the lint or hair build up won’t allow air to flow properly and then too much heat is required to dry your hair. Replace or clean out products periodically. If you’re unsure if your current hair dryer is up to standards, ask your hair stylist.
- You’re not protecting your hair from UV rays from the sun. Sun damage will greatly dry out your hair. Look for products with UV protection or use a hair sunscreen and use year-round. You’re exposed to dangerous UV rays even in the winter or on cloudy days.
- You never change your look. If you wear your hair in a ponytail, bun, straighten your hair or curl it every day, you’re damaging your hair. The same looks worn repetitively will cause your hair to weaken and become damaged and even fall out. So switch it up every once in a while!
Is your hair damaged? Is your hair damaged because of anything on this list? Share with us!