We all have our so-called “bad habits”. Some of them could be serious, like smoking. But some of them that you thought were bad might turn out to be kinda good for you. Here is a list of bad habits and why they are actually good for you. However, if doing any of these things feels bad to you or makes you feel less confident, by all means, quit!
- Drinking tons of coffee. Coffee is interesting because there are a lot of people saying it is good for you and a lot of people saying it is bad for you. Some people simply can’t handle the caffeine, but if your daily cup of joe doesn’t cause you any bad side effects, keep drinking. Coffee is actually full of antioxidants which have a lot of health benefits. Coffee is also shown to improve memory, keep you happy and fight Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, Type 2 diabetes, and liver cancer. Just remember to keep the coffee plain and not to add too much sugar or cream or drink too many sugary, fancy coffee drinks.
- Sleeping in. If sleep in on the regular, you might get backlash of people thinking you’re lazy. But more sleep is rarely a bad thing. It can help keep your metabolism up and help you to eat healthier when you’re awake because you aren’t reaching for things to help keep you awake. Just make sure you’re not chronically oversleeping because of depression or another illness.
- Complaining is negative energy right? That can’t be good, can it? In reality, complaining can help you to be realistic about your life and get through negative emotions instead of repressing them. This can lead to an overall healthier mental state. So go ahead and complain sometimes!
- Biting your nails. Biting your nails can lead to germs getting into your system and it can lead to your nails looking like a hot mess. But actually, introducing those germs into your body isn’t always a bad thing. It can help build your immune system so you won’t get sick as often.
- Chewing gum. Chewing gum is actually good for keeping focused. It has also been shown to help with anxiety or nervousness by distracting your body. So pick your favorite flavor and chew away!
- Being messy. Being messy can be very disturbing to those who are clean freaks. But messiness really does show a connection to creativity. Messiness can even have some health benefits for those with allergies. For example, dust mites have a hard time surviving in messy conditions.
- Being addicted to chocolate. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, actually contains antioxidants that are great for you! Milk chocolate also contains flavonoids, which are a chemical compound that prevents cancer and strokes. Just remember white chocolate isn’t real chocolate, so it doesn’t contain any of these health benefits.
- Fidgeting is great because it is a little bit of exercise. It can help boost your metabolism and reduce the bad side effects of sitting all day. So feel free to keep squirming!
Do you have any of these “bad” habits? Did you know they could have some benefits?