It can be hard to lose weight at any age. But when you throw in baby weight, menopause and aging… it can be almost impossible to lose the weight you desire. Here are some of the best tips for losing weight as you age:
- Start taking fish oil. It has been shown to help keep your mental game strong, your heart healthy, your immune system strong AND help you lose weight.
- Find your favorite motivation. What is your favorite exercise? DO THAT. Making yourself hit the gym every day and absolutely hating it isn’t going to do you any favors. If you love yoga, commit to a regular practice. Find something you look forward to doing that doesn’t feel like working out. It can be as simple as a walk in the park.
- Balance your hormones. Hormones can often affect your weight loss journey without you even realizing it. Try a high protein, low carb diet. Reduce your intake of alcohol. Take fish oil. Exercise. If you are still experiencing issues that might be related to your hormones, see your doctor to determine your levels and if you need medication.
- Add weights. Even if you just want to lose weight and aren’t interested in getting buff, you need to add a strength training workout! It is very effective at helping you lose weight and increasing endurance. It will also help you reduce your risk of muscle and bone density loss that naturally happens as you age.
- Stick to one plan for at least six months. Find a diet or lifestyle change that is working for you or that you enjoy and stick with it! Often people find that something isn’t working fast enough and they switch to another diet. This won’t help you!
- Work on reducing your stress. Stress can wreak havoc on your body and screw up your metabolism, making it almost impossible to lose weight. Find a stress relieving activity that works for you and stick with it! Diet and exercise are not enough… you need to be calm enough to help your body make these changes. Some great stress relieving activities are meditation, yoga, reading, taking a bath, coloring, chatting with friends and listening to calming music. Again, find what works for you!
- Master your cravings. Try eating more protein and fiber to stay fuller, longer. Eat small, healthy meals every three hours to maintain a stable blood sugar. Keep the junk food out of your house and out of reach so you’re less likely to crave it.
Do you find it hard to lose weight as you age? What other tips would you add to this list?