As you age, wrinkles can be harder and harder to fight. If you want a younger looking complexion, you need to start protecting your skin and caring for it more gently. Here are some ways to fight and prevent wrinkles:
- Eat healthy. Eat lots of fruits, vegetables and fish. Fish is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which fight free radicals that cause wrinkles. Avoid processed foods and foods high in sugar. Drink plenty of water and tea to stay hydrated too. Hydrated skin is healthier and less likely to lead to thinning skin and wrinkles.
- Stop smoking now. Smoking and too much sun are the leading causes of aging skin. Smoking removes oxygen and nutrients from the body and increases free radicals, which cause aging and other problems in the body. Do yourself a favor and quit as soon as possible.
- Avoid the sun. Wear a hat, sunglasses and light colors when you’re outside and be sure to keep applying sunscreen throughout the day. Sunglasses are especially helpful because wrinkles tend to appear near the eyes. Apply sunscreen of at least SPF 15 thirty minutes before sun exposure. Sunscreens with zinc or titanium oxide are the most effective. Avoid tanning booths, which are even worse for your skin and can cause lasting damage.
- Exercise! Cardiovascular exercise is great for your skin and keeping it tight and healthy looking.
- Avoid pollutants in the air, especially if you live in a big city. Ozone pollutants, smoke and gasoline fumes cause aging and wrinkles.
- Work with your dermatologist for an anti-aging skin care routine. They can determine which products will work best for your age and specific skin type. Moisturizer is especially important.
- Reduce stress. When you’re stressed, your body releases cortisol, which is an aging hormone. Find your favorite activity that reduces stress, such as taking a walk, catching up with friends, painting, writing, reading, coloring, singing or meditating. It can be anything that helps you relax!
- Try sleeping on your back or invest in a satin pillowcase to reduce sleep lines, which can turn into wrinkles eventually.
- Ask your doctor for Retin-A or Renova, both are creams that fight fine lines and wrinkles and thicken skin. Renova is best for very dry skin.
Do you have aging skin or wrinkles? What are your favorite ways to fight wrinkles? Do you have any products to recommend? Share with us!