You’ve probably heard of the practice of yoga. Did you know that there are many different types of yoga, each with different benefits? All types of yoga are great stress-relieving exercises with lots of physical and mental benefits. Here are some of the different types to look for in DVDs or a yoga class near you:
- Ashtanga Yoga: Ashtanga is not usually for beginners. You perform poses in a specific order without stopping and each movement links to your breath. It is derived from ancient yoga teachings that have been around for a very long time. This practice is great for increasing flexibility and strength and the breathing work is designed to center your mind.
- Bikram or Hot Yoga: It can be called either bikram or hot yoga, but either way, the room is heated to 95-100 degrees. This is a vigorous workout because of the heat and not recommended for beginners or those with certain health problems. These classes are especially good for detoxification and increasing flexibility.
- Hatha Yoga: This type of yoga teaches you the poses and can be an introduction to basic postures. This is great for beginners, so if you’re new to yoga, look for hatha yoga classes.
- Kundalini Yoga: Kundalini yoga has a spiritual approach and incorporates meditation, breathing techniques and even chanting. This is great if you’re looking for a way to get more spiritual and need stress relief.
- Kripalu Yoga: Kripalu teaches self-empowerment in a three-part practice and is very gentle. This is also great for stress relief.
- Iyengar/Anusara Yoga: Iyengar is great for beginners because it features props like straps, blocks, blankets or bolsters and focuses on getting the pose correctly. Anusara is similar but generally more upbeat.
- Restorative Yoga: This type of class is great for those healing from an injury or very stressed. It can also be called Yin Yoga. It will help you rejuvenate.
- Vinyasa Yoga: Vinyasa focuses on the 12 poses of sun salutations and maintain your breath. It can also help strengthen your core and help you pair movement and breath work.
- Power Yoga: Power Yoga is a great workout for athletes and those looking for a challenge. It uses every muscle in your body and helps you increase your metabolism.
- Prenatal Yoga: This one is for pregnant women and is a great way to exercise and stay in shape while expecting.
Which types of yoga have you tried and which ones are your favorites or least favorites? What benefits have you noticed? Share with us!