In many recipes, you can swap out certain ingredients for a healthier version that will still taste amazing. Here are a bunch you can try and let us know your favorites:
- Instead of regular potatoes, use sweet potatoes to make French fries. They’re higher in fiber and healthier than regular potatoes. They taste amazing as fries.
- Swap some sugar in desserts for cinnamon for a sweet taste without the sugar or calories.
- Switch butter for pureed nuts for a healthier spread or dip with less saturated fat.
- In dessert recipes, use avocado instead of all butter. You’ll add vitamins, minerals and healthy fats to your decadent dessert. You won’t taste the avocado in there either.
- Try blending frozen bananas for a healthy and delicious “ice cream” instead of the store bought kind. Unsweetened cocoa powder or vanilla extract can turn it into your favorite flavor.
- For a homemade pie crust, use high fiber cereal instead of graham cracker crumbs for less sugar and more fiber.
- In baking, try unsweetened apple sauce instead of sugar.
- In making brownies, try black beans instead of flour. It sounds weird, but you won’t taste the beans in there. You’ll just get more protein and they will be moist.
- Use marshmallow fluff for frosting on cakes and cupcakes. It has less calories and sugar but still has a similar texture and taste. Great for a s’mores dessert.
- Try swapping regular flour for a nut flour, coconut flour or whole wheat flour for a healthier treat.
- Swap chocolate chips for cacao nibs. They contain healthy antioxidants and less sugar.
- If you want to make a recipe vegan, swap eggs for flax meal. Mix one tablespoon of flax meal with three tablespoons of warm water and whisk to combine. Let sit in fridge for 5-10 minutes and then use in your recipe.
- Use zucchini or another vegetable instead of pasta. You can thin strips and sauté easily.
- Try grated steamed cauliflower instead of rice or mash cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Save calories and carbs this way.
- For lunch, use lettuce leaves instead of bread or tortilla wraps.
- Try ground turkey instead of ground beef and save yourself the risk of red meat.
Have you tried any of these healthy ingredient swaps? Which are your favorites? Share with us!