If your hair has a cuticle that is smooth and flat, your hair will be ridiculously healthy and shiny. If your hair is dull, you might be making these mistakes with your cuticle. Here are the top 12 mistakes to avoid to maintain shiny tresses:
- Wetting your hair too frequently. This means washing it too much, swimming every day or simply getting it too wet all the time. If you have too much moisture in your hair, the hair shaft causes the cuticle to buckle. This means dull hair.
- Too much scrubbing with shampoo. Use a conditioning shampoo instead and don’t scrub too harshly.
- Skipping conditioner. You need conditioner every time you wash your hair, especially if it is very dry. Try a conditioner especially designed to shine your hair.
- Not finishing with cold water. Rinsing your hair with cold water helps seal your cuticle and increases shine.
- Rubbing your hair harshly with a towel. Your hair is easily damaged when wet and rubbing it with a towel can dull it and increase damage. Blot with a soft t-shirt or towel.
- Brushing too much or too harshly. Brushing does help distribute natural oils in your hair but if you brush too much you strip layers of cuticle.
- Using too many hot styling tools. You probably know that hot styling tools like hair straighteners and curlers damage your hair but they also damage your hair’s natural oils, making your hair dull looking. If you do use these tools, make sure to use products that protect your hair from the heat.
- You use too much product. Using too many leave in creams and gels can create a dulling residue in your hair. Use a clarifying shampoo once in a while to get rid of this gunk.
- You color your hair too much or use any type of chemical processing. Chemical coloring or processes are very damaging because it breaks down the inner structure of hair protein and never fully recovers.
- You twist your hair too much. Playing with your hair too much can be a legitimate nervous habit but it will loosen and damage your cuticle.
- You wear tight hair styles. If you pull a ponytail, bun, braid or other hairstyle too tightly, it could damage the cuticle and cause loss of shine.
- You spend too much time in the sun without protection for your hair. The sun has many damaging rays that will dull your hair.
Did you know all of these things can dull your hair and reduce shine? Share with us if any surprised you!