When you go out with friends or simply have a stressful day at work, wine is always nice to have to help you unwind in the evening. However, if you want to lose weight or simply maintain a healthy size, you might be fearful of alcoholic beverages and sneaky calories. Here are some ways to make sure wine doesn’t bust your waistline and a few different types that are lower in calorie to look for when you’re out shopping for a good glass of wine.
Take this advice to maintain a healthy weight and still enjoy wine:
- Know the calories in the wine you’re drinking. Most wine is generally 130-175 calories per glass, but some contains less or more calories. Try to keep it to one glass a night or a few glasses on a special occasion.
- Go for a walk before you drink. Drinking wine can actually boost your metabolism for a short time and walking or exercising can help negate the calories you’ll intake from drinking.
- Don’t drink before you eat. If you get a little buzz before you have dinner, you’re likely to eat more than you normally would because your inhibitions are lowered.
- Go for dry, red wine because it has a lot of antioxidants which are actually good for you.
- Don’t drink too late or too close to bedtime because drinking alcohol of any kind can mess with your sleep habits.
- Opt for more expensive wines. They are made with better ingredients and will help you avoid a hangover. It also may sway you to drink less to save the bottle. It can save for several days in the fridge with a stopper, so no need to finish a whole bottle in one night.
Here are some different types of wines that are low-cal:
Sparkling wines/Champagne: Yellowglen Sparkling Pink 65 Soft Rosé, Blossom Hill Sparkling Moscato, Lunetta Prosecco and Laurent-Perrier NV Ultra Brut Champagne
Red wines (the healthiest choice): Cupcake Vineyards Chianti, Blossom Hill Cabernet Sauvignon, Cavit Cabernet Sauvignon, Yellow Tail Shiraz
Sweet white wines: The Skinny Vine Thin Zin, Yellow Tail Moscato, Cavit Riesling, Sutter Home Riesling
Dry white wines: Brancott Estate Flight Song Sauvignon Blanc, The Skinny Vine Slim Chardonnay, Cavit Collection Pinot Grigio, Cupcake Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc
Do you enjoy wine? Which type and/or brand is your favorite? Do you pay attention to the calories in wine? Share with us!