As you age, belly fat is a completely normal thing that happens to most of us. However, it can not only be uncomfortable, but it can mess with your self-esteem and cause other health problems. So how do you get rid of it for good? Here are some tried and true ways:
- Get off the couch! One great way to keep belly fat at bay is to never stop moving. Try to get 10,000 steps a day. There are plenty of apps and devices that can help you track your steps these days and even give you a nudge when you’re feeling lazy. Aerobic exercise is also great for removing and preventing belly fat. Try to bike, swim, run or do another activity you love several times a week.
- Eat lots of protein. As you age, your body naturally produces more insulin, which promotes fat storage, especially around your stomach area. A diet that is high in protein can help fight this issue. Aim for eating 40 percent protein, 30 percent healthy carbs and 30 percent healthy fats.
- Choose healthy fats, also called polyunsaturated fats. These can be found in nuts, seeds and fish.
- Try having a tablespoon a day of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is a great choice. If you can’t stomach drinking it plain, drizzle some on your salad. It has been shown to fight body fat.
- Practice yoga a few times a week or work on reducing stress. We all know that stress causes all kinds of issues in our mind and body. It can also make you fat. Aim to lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which has been shown to cause belly fat. Determine what reduces stress for you. It can be as simple as deep breathing techniques, but stick with it.
- Sleep better, but don’t oversleep every weekend. Sleeping less than five hours a night has been shown to cause belly fat. Aim for eight hours, but don’t routinely oversleep. Chaotic sleep can cause your body to release cortisol, which we learned causes belly fat.
- Drink lots of tea, especially green tea. The antioxidants called catechins that are found in green tea help lose belly fat. The trick is you need to exercise as well.
- Get more fiber in your diet to help reduce visceral fat.
Do you have stubborn belly fat? Do you have any tips that aren’t on this list? Share with us!