You may have heard that it is actually healthier for your hair if you wash and style it less. Yet, you may also be hooked on washing it every single day for that clean feeling, especially if you are prone to greasy hair. Here are some tips on washing your hair less without feeling gross:
- First of all, when you do shampoo and condition your hair, do it the right way. Shampoo just your scalp and condition only your ends. This is truly where you need it! Massage your scalp and roots with the shampoo that works best for you. This may be anti-dandruff, moisturizing or oil-free. Then only condition the ends where it really needs it. If you put too much conditioner in your scalp, it could get buildup and you’ll feel like you need to wash it more.
- Use dry shampoo. Especially in the beginning as you try to wash your hair less, you’ll want to use dry shampoo in between washes to maintain that clean feeling.
- Try brushing with a boar bristle brush to help distribute oils in your hair more evenly. This will help you to avoid oils collecting at your scalp and making your hair look greasy.
- Sleep with your hair up, but don’t secure it too tightly. Sleeping with your hair up can save it from collecting oils from your skin. However, it can harm your hair and your skin if you secure it too tightly. Use a loose scrunchie to keep it away from your face as you get your beauty rest. If you’re new to washing your hair less, you might want to find a few great updo hairstyles because they hide dirty hair and prevent oils from spreading. Hats and scarves work great too!
- Don’t forget to change your pillowcases often and switch to satin pillowcases if you can. Your pillowcase can often collect dirt, oil, makeup and sweat. All of these can get in your hair, contributing to that dirty, greasy feel.
- Use less styling products. The more styling products you use on a regular basis, there will be more buildup accumulating in your hair and you’ll need to wash your hair more. If you need to use styling products every day, remember that less is more. Use a clarifying shampoo or rinse with apple cider vinegar every week to get rid of this buildup and keep your hair healthy and beautiful.
Do you wash your hair every day or a few times a week? What is your healthy hair routine? Do you love or hate washing and styling your hair? Share with us!