Hitting the gym and counting sit-ups and crunches are not the only way to get a sexy six pack. In fact, if you forget about nutrition and only focus on exercise, you won’t get flat abs very quickly, if at all. You’ll want to follow that saying “abs are made in the kitchen”. Let’s focus on the best foods to eat for flat abs and also share some of the foods you’ll want to avoid in order to gain a flat tummy quickly.
Here are some of the best foods to eat:
- Bell peppers. Peppers contain lots of vitamin C that helps keep you trim. It also helps lower cortisol, the stress hormone. Stress can prevent abs from showing up, even if you are eating and exercising correctly.
- Eggs contain choline, which boosts metabolism and can stop the gene that stores belly fat.
- Bananas help get rid of bloat and gas, which can prevent you from having the flat tummy you desire. It also contains potassium, which prevents water retention.
- Green tea. Sipping green tea can help you lose belly fat and contains antioxidants called catechins, which stop the storage of belly fat as well.
- Lean poultry like turkey or chicken. High quality proteins are great because they fill you up and are easy calories to burn off.
- Whole wheat pasta. Whole wheat contains more nutrients than white pasta and is filling because of the fiber. You can also try lentils, chickpeas, quinoa or black means for a healthy addition to your lunch or dinner.
- Acorn squash. Acorn squash contains healthy vitamin C and fiber. Vitamin C can help boost the uncovering of abs from exercise.
- Oats are a great source of protein and even though it is a carb, the release of sugars is slowed by the amount of fiber. A great healthy breakfast before your workout!
- Fruits like cherries, blueberries and apples. Tart cherries can help you lose belly fat. Apples are a great source of fiber and antioxidants, which will keep your digestive system running smoothly and keep your tummy flat. Blueberries contain polyphenols, which prevent fat from forming and they also actively burn belly fat.
- Sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are a healthy carb and they also contain carotenoids, which are antioxidants that stabilize blood-sugar levels and lower insulin resistance. This prevents other calories that you ingest from turning into fat.
- Vegetables like broccoli and spinach. Broccoli contains a lot of vitamin C, which can help you lower cortisol and fight belly fat. It also contains a phytonutrient called sulforaphane. This increases testosterone and prevents body fat storage. Spinach contains a lot of protein and can help muscle recovery and growth.
- Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has lots of protein, vitamin D, calcium and probiotics. All of these make for a great snack for a flat tummy.
- Apple cider vinegar is a cure-all for many ailments and it also has been shown to lower body weight and belly fat.
Don’t forget to avoid these foods:
- Soda is filled with sugar and can make you gassy and bloated. Carbonated beverages generally fill the stomach with air, making you look and feel bloated. Not good for wanting abs!
- Junk foods and refined carbs. Think white bread, chips, cookies, etc. Avoid them for spikes in blood sugar and increased fat storage. Common sense right?
- Salty foods. Salty foods also bloat you because they lead to fluid retention.
Do you want or have a six pack? Did you know which foods were best and worst for getting and maintaining abs? Share with us!