Make Your Workday Healthier Today
If you work in an office or have a generally sedentary job, it can be hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Especially if you are too busy to walk around a lot and people are always bringing in sweet treats to the shared kitchen! Here are some tips to stay healthier while working all day:
- Be prepared with healthy snacks. Stock your desk or fridge with fruit, vegetables and hummus, yogurt, homemade trail mix and raw nuts and seeds. If you have a big sweet tooth, try keeping some dark chocolate in your desk for emergency cravings. This will also help you avoid the kitchen when it seems like it is someone’s birthday every week.
- Stay hydrated. Keep a water bottle at your desk and keep refilling it throughout the day. Often when you think you’re hungry and go for that second brownie, you are really just thirsty. If water bores you, try sparkling waters with natural flavors, fresh juice or tea. If you drink a lot of coffee or caffeinated tea, remember that you need to drink two glasses of water for every cup of caffeinated beverage you drink!
- Move around! If you can sneak out of the office at lunch time, head for a walk or some type of exercise. Take your breaks outside or simply walk around the office. This is especially helpful if you start feeling tried or get cravings for unhealthy foods. If you have a hard time finding time to walk around or move, simply walk to the bathroom more, take the stairs instead of the elevator or visit someone’s office instead of emailing them back.
- Participate in office ordering. If you find that your office routinely orders pizza, brings in ice cream or gets treats from Starbucks, you might want to start offering healthier alternatives. Some people will grumble, but others may thank you for speaking up and changing things up.
- Start a competition amongst co-workers. Set a goal for three or six months, set prizes and compete! It doesn’t have to be about weight. It could be about moving more or eating healthier. Be creative and ask for suggestions!
Do you work in an office or another environment where you struggle to be healthy? Will you try any of these tips? Share with us!