If you live in an area that changes seasons, you might love or dread the start of fall. For many, fall is a beloved season that doesn’t last long. For others, it could be a reminder of dark days and approaching winter that they don’t find too pleasing. If you love exercising outdoors, you don’t have to stop when summer ends! Fall is a great time to enjoy the outdoors. Try some of these tips:
- Enjoy the cooler weather and beautiful fall foliage. If you love being outdoors, use fall as a great opportunity to head outdoors for a walk, jog, hike or bike ride. If you love fall activities like apple or pumpkin picking, these can be great ways to burn calories and pick up some healthy snacks as well.
- Remember to layer up. Temperatures gradually decrease in the fall and sometimes fluctuate between warm and chilly. Keep breathable, moisture-wicking clothing on hand. Remember that you might be chilly at first, but once you are working out your body will warm up so don’t overdress. If it really cold in the early morning, wear a hat.
- When fall arrives, the mornings and evenings are darker. If you love exercising outdoors in the early morning or evening, remember to wear reflective clothing, wear a headlight or carry a flashlight and don’t wear all dark clothing. Head to safe areas and stay out of the road.
- You probably aren’t heading back to school, but you can learn something new. Is there a fitness craze or class you’ve always been interested in but haven’t tried? Try it now! Ask about deals for intro classes or fall specials.
- You might be already feeling a little more sluggish as it gets darker earlier. But instead of just sitting on the couch watching TV all evening, work out during this time as well. Do a fitness workout on DVD or just do simple exercises during commercials to keep moving. You can try doing squats, running in place, using light weights, planks or other easy body weight exercises.
- Get a Fitbit or another step tracking device. This can be a great motivator to get out there and get your 10,000 steps for the day. You can challenge your friends and family too for extra motivation.
- Check out the fall produce at a local farmer’s market. Eating within the seasons is a great way to stay healthy and enjoy some amazing foods. Some foods that are very fresh during the fall are apples, pumpkins, figs, pears, sweet potatoes and winter squash.
- Get a bike. Bike riding during fall is a great way to stay in shape and prime season for enjoying the fall colors while you cruise on your bike. Many stores will have sales on bikes when summer is over and winter is approaching.
- Instead of setting resolutions in January, try setting fall resolutions. Much like going back to school for a fresh start, give yourself this time to set new fitness and health goals. Chances are you feel refreshed and revitalized and ready to start a new routine at this time of year. By the time winter rolls around, you’ll have a new healthy habit to stick with.
- Integrate exercise into your everyday life. If you have kids and they are now heading to sports practice or dance class, instead of reading or gossiping, try walking around or even helping them warm up. You can also try walking meetings at work. Schedule time to walk around and talk instead of sitting in a room or talking on the phone. Studies have shown this also helps you think and problem solve more effectively.
Do you love or hate fall? What are your favorite ways to exercise in the fall? Share with us!