Have you ever had a canker sore? While common and not usually a sign of anything serious, they can be annoying and painful. Canker sores are generally caused by biting the inside of your lip or your cheeks, braces rubbing against your gums, stress, genetics, or a malfunctioning immune response. They generally start off looking red but can become more inflamed over time and develop a white or yellow spot in the middle of the sore. So how do you get rid of them naturally? Here are a few ways:
- Try a DIY numbing spray with essential oils. Mix two tablespoons of olive or grapeseed oil, 10 drops of peppermint essential oil and 8 drops of eucalyptus essential oil (make sure they are food grade and safe enough to use in your mouth). Shake well and spray on the canker sore for pain relief. Shake well before each use. The peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils are both anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. They also help to tighten the tissues around your canker sore, which helps the infection from spreading and can ease the pain. Both have cooling properties that also help it feel better fast.
- Use a bag of chamomile tea to reduce inflammation and help speed the healing process. Simply soak the chamomile tea bag in water for a minute or so. Then place it directly on the sore for 5-10 minutes, twice daily.
- Use coconut oil. Chances are you already have this awesome product in your kitchen or bathroom for its many cooking and beauty uses. Coconut oil is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial. Apply coconut oil directly on the canker sore and let it melt. Try to get a thick layer or it won’t stay on for long enough to start healing.
- If you have clove essential oils, try a clove oil cotton ball. Clove essential oil contains eugenol, which is a painkiller that often helps toothaches. Mix ½ teaspoon of olive oil and 4-5 drops of clove essential oil and soak a cotton ball in it. Apply the soaked cotton ball directly to the canker sore for 5-8 minutes. Swish your mouth with warm water or salt water first to get the area clean and help the clove oil do its job.
- Use honey! Remember to use raw honey for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Apply a thick layer of raw honey to the canker sore, especially at night. You can use this 2-3 times daily.
- Try a homemade cayenne cream to help with the pain. Mix warm water and ground cayenne pepper to form a thick paste. Use a cotton swab to apply directly to the canker sore and reapply 2-3 times daily.
- Try an aloe rinse. Aloe vera isn’t just for sunburns, it can soothe other ailments like canker sores as well. Just make sure you use natural aloe vera gel and not the green kind for sunburns. Mix one teaspoon of aloe vera gel with one tablespoon of water and swish in your mouth three times a day.
- Love yogurt? Eat up to heal your canker sore and feel relief. Opt for plain yogurt (no sugar or sweeteners) with active live cultures. You can use honey for sweetener and more healing power.
- Gargle with warm salt water. You may have heard of gargling with salt water for sore throats, but it works for healing canker sores as well. Mix a ¼ cup of warm water with ½ teaspoon of salt and swish in your mouth 3 times daily. Salt water can reduce the swelling and inflammation.
Have you ever had a canker sore? Do you get them often? Have you ever tried a natural remedy like the ones above? Share with us your favorite canker sore remedies!