As women, we often hear dieting advice from our mothers, our friends and even our doctors. This sometimes turns out to be awful advice, even when it comes from a trusted doctor. Science and what we know about our health changes all the time and often the facts about dieting can be twisted very easily. Here are some of the worst diet tips you’ve ever heard and the real truth behind them:
- Bad advice: count every single calorie… even gum. Truth: This will make you crazy! Trying to count every single calorie will only stress you out. Guess what all that stress will probably do? Yep, you guessed it… make you gain more weight. Or you’ll start avoiding restaurants if you don’t know how many calories are in their meals and this could even lead to something more serious, like an eating disorder. Instead, try keeping a food journal or track on an app on your phone. It will help you see what you’re eating, how much and if you need to cut back on sugar or other culprits that make you gain weight.
- Bad advice: Taking a shot of apple cider vinegar every morning to help you lose your appetite and in turn, lose weight by not eating as much during the day. Truth: Apple cider vinegar isn’t bad for you, but it hasn’t been shown to suppress your appetite. However, if you suffer from heartburn, this might be able to help you. Coffee is actually a more effective drink in the morning to help calm your appetite during the day.
- Bad advice: The only way to start a diet and boost your metabolism is by doing a juice cleanse. Truth: Juice cleanses actually put a rapid decline in your metabolism because your body thinks you’re starving. Even if you lose weight during a juice cleanse, it will just come back after you’re done more rapidly. Instead, just start cutting back on unhealthy food that contains too much sugar or salt and ease into a clean eating diet.
- Bad advice: You should skip breakfast and just chew gum in the morning instead. Truth: Even though gum might temporarily suppress your appetite, you’ll just be that much hungrier later in the day and could even lead to an unhealthy binge. Skipping breakfast will ensure you start your day off on the wrong foot by feeling hungry and having low energy and brain power.
- Bad advice: Completely cut carbs and dairy to lose weight fast. Truth: If you have an allergy or intolerance to these foods, you absolutely should cut them out. If you don’t, you might be missing essential nutrients. Whole grains are actually great for weight loss. You should really be cutting back on unhealthy carbs and dairy like mac and cheese and replacing them with veggies, sweet potatoes and beans.
Have you ever tried or been told some of these bad diet tips? What are the worst tips you’ve ever heard? What are your favorite (healthy) ways to diet? Share with us!