Have you ever been told you’re “too sensitive”? Do you cry often and easily? Does the world seem too overwhelming for you? If you said yes to all of these, you might be a highly sensitive person, a term coined by Elaine Aron, PhD. If you’re highly sensitive, the world can seem tricky to navigate, but it also comes with some perks. You’re probably one of the most caring and loving people you know, very creative and deeply moved by the arts. So how do you thrive? Here are some tips:
- Stay away from the news and other “toxic” media. You probably already avoid horror movies, but keep in mind that scrolling endlessly on Facebook or watching crime shows probably isn’t help you thrive. It may even give you anxiety or depression.
- Honor your emotions. When you’re highly sensitive, you probably have a high range of emotions that can change easily. You have to work to keep those emotions in balance. When an emotion comes up, breathe into it and learn to accept these feelings as passing visitors. Meditation can help or starting any type of practice that helps you feel calm and balanced. It doesn’t have to be meditation, you could try exercise or simple breathing exercises.
- Pay attention to the times when you feel drained and when you feel energized. Maybe you feel overwhelmed whenever you shop in crowds. Accept this and try to shop online more often or go to the store when it isn’t very busy. Maybe you love journaling and feel energized and ready to take on the world when you’re finished. Do it every day. Take note of these things that overwhelm or excite you and plan your routines and days accordingly. Know that it is okay to say no sometimes to plans that overwhelm you.
- Take a look at your relationships. It is common for highly sensitive people to start relationships with narcissists or people who take advantage of them because of their caring nature. Walk away from people or situations that no longer serve you or continually hurt you. This can be a tough practice, but it gets easier over time if you choose to love yourself just the way you are.
- Treat yourself the way you want others to treat you. Your relationship with yourself can be a factor in how others view you and treat you. If you are constantly putting yourself down and hating that you are highly sensitive, others will pick up on that (consciously or subconsciously) and put you down. Start to learn to take care of yourself by eating healthy, exercising, practicing self-love and self-care practices and talking to yourself in a positive light.
- Find your purpose and live it. Highly sensitive people are greatly needed in this day and age. The world needs your sensitive and loving energy. Figure out what you love doing, what you’re good at and what the world needs. This can take time. Try journaling to start to figure it out if you have no clue what your purpose is. Serve yourself and others and you will find your purpose!
Are you highly sensitive? What are some other traits you have? What is your purpose? Let’s share!