Are you constantly tired? Have trouble concentrating? Always achy? Deal with bad PMS and other hormonal issues? Suffer from anxiety? Crave sweet and salty foods constantly? You might be dealing with adrenal fatigue. Adrenal fatigue is often called the 21st Century Stress Syndrome because so many people are affected by it.
Adrenal Fatigue can be healed naturally with your diet, supplements and reducing stress. First let’s discuss what your adrenal glands do. Your adrenal glands are two small organs that sit above your kidneys. They produce over 50 hormones and affect almost every single bodily function. They also are deeply involved in the stress response (think adrenaline when you experience the fight or flight response). They also balance hormones such as blood sugar, blood pressure, stress response and sex hormones.
So, what causes adrenal fatigue and why do so many people experience it? Simply put, when you experience adrenal fatigue, your body can’t keep up with the amount of stress you experience. Here’s a complete list of symptoms:
- Morning fatigue or trouble waking up
- Decreased libido
- Muscle weakness
- Poor focus
- Bone loss
- Increased allergies
- Difficulty sleeping
- Cravings for sugar
- Hair loss
- Weight gain
- Muscle tension
- Inability to tolerate high-carb/potassium foods unless paired with fat and protein
Symptoms from Dr. Axe.
So, if you think you have adrenal fatigue, please see your doctor first and get testing and ask about their suggestions. If you like to go a more natural route, here are some steps to begin the healing process:
- Change your diet. Start by removing foods that harm your adrenal glands. These foods include: caffeine products, sugar and other sweeteners, processed and microwaved foods and all hydrogenated oils. Next, add in foods to nourish your body and heal your adrenal glands. These foods include: coconut, avocado, cruciferous vegetables, fatty fish, chicken, turkey, nuts and seeds, seaweed and sea salt.
- Reduce stress. Try these tips: try to sleep as much as you can (8-10 hours) and maintain a regular sleep cycle, exercise, laugh every day, seek support if you are dealing with emotional trauma, practice self-care and seek help for any addictions (including sugar addiction).
- Add supplements. In addition to cleaning up your diet, adding supplements can greatly improve your healing of adrenal fatigue. Some of the best supplements to try are: Ashwagandha, holy basil, fish oil, vitamins B5 and B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc and Magnesium.
- Lastly, be kind to yourself. Many people deal with adrenal fatigue, but now that you know what you are dealing with, you can help heal yourself one step at a time! Be patient and see your doctor.
Do you have adrenal fatigue? What things have helped you heal from it? Share your experience with us!