How often do you clean? Do you ever do a thorough cleaning of your home in the spring? It is a great time to let fresh air in, start organizing your space and give every room a deep cleaning. Here’s a list, room by room, to get you started. Try cleaning one room per weekend or space it out however you need to, to avoid getting overwhelmed. Keep in mind most rooms need the walls, floors, light fixtures, etc. cleaned so I may not mention them in every room to avoid being too repetitive.
Entry or foyer:
- Wash all the walls.
- Dust any lighting fixtures and replace bulbs if needed.
- Wash doors and disinfect door knobs and light switches.
- Empty the coat closet. Wash all coats and donate any old ones. Clean the inside of the closet too.
- Clean the entry mat or get a new one.
- Clean floors and reseal any grout lines if needed.
- If you have a bench or organizational item in your foyer, clean that and wash anything that is fabric.
- Dust all furniture, lights and art.
- Remove everything from closets and dressers. Clean the inside of drawers or closets. Donate items you don’t want anymore.
- Move the furniture out and vacuum or clean the entire floor and walls.
- Paint if necessary.
- Wash all bedding, blankets, pillows and curtains.
- Wash the windows and mirrors.
- Disinfect any door knobs and light switches.
- Replace any light bulbs and clean lamp shades.
- Empty any cabinets and clean inside of them. Organize products and get rid of any expired, old or never used products like medications or cosmetics.
- Clean your bathtub, shower and drain thoroughly.
- Scrub the toilet, inside and out and make sure it is tightened to the floor.
- Clean the sinks and drains and shine the faucets.
- Clean the mirror and dust any light fixtures. Replace any bulbs as needed.
- Wash the windows and any curtains.
- Wash the walls and floors.
- Disinfect any surfaces, including door knobs and light switches.
- Reseal grout lines as needed.
- Wash or dust any fans and vents.
- Take everything out of the fridge and cabinets or pantry. Clean inside of everything and get rid of any expired food. Organize everything when you put it back.
- Sanitize cutting boards.
- Sharpen knives.
- Clean the oven and stove top.
- Wash the inside and outside of cabinets.
- Move the refrigerator and any other moveable items to clean underneath them.
- Defrost the freezer.
- Clean the microwave.
- Clean crumbs from the toaster.
- Wash and disinfect any counter appliances, counters, backsplash and sink. Clean the drain to the sink and shine faucets.
- Clean the dishwasher.
- Wash any windows, curtains and light fixtures. Replace bulbs as needed.
- Move any furniture and clean the floors.
- Clean the walls.
- Wipe down the table and chair. Polish table or clean the chair pads if applicable.
- Shine silverware.
- Vacuum and spot clean sofas and chairs.
- Wash any pillows and blankets.
- Move furniture and clean floors.
- Dust any décor, electronics, shelves, etc.
- Sort through and donate or organize any movies, CDs, toys, etc.
- Wash the siding and paint if necessary.
- Clean bikes and other items that have been tucked away all winter.
- Sweep porches and get out patio furniture.
Do you normally do a thorough spring cleaning? Do you love it or hate it? What things do you always forget to clean? Will you print out this list? Share with us!